Best answer

How do I use Zapier to update a Google Sheet lookup row with only alphanumeric codes from column G (G2, G3, G4)?

Userlevel 1

Hi there!

Would appreciate assistance from the community as am currently working on my Zapier workflow and got stuck.

I'm currently working on an automated email which is sent to customers each time google forms is completed.

The email would also contain a 6 digit code for the customer to use.

While i have already configured the python code on google sheets, am unable to match the email which only sends the code to the customer’s respective row.

Ie customer 1, row G2 alpha numeric code 

customer 2, row G3 alpha numeric code 

customer 3, row G4 alpha numeric code

etc etc 

how do you update lookup row for google sheets in Zapier that it will only send the column G alpha numeric (code) ie G2, G3, G4 respectively?

icon

Best answer by Troy Tessalone 9 May 2024, 17:02

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Ko_living 

Check this topic:

Userlevel 1

Thanks for the reply. 

For the example, they have pre-generated coupons while mine are generated each time customer completes a google form and the code can be repeated.

Is there an equivalent function for select columns G2:G in Zapier that I can use to match the alpha numeric code to each customer? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Ko_living 

To find cell values for a range, you can add another column with the same value for every row to function as the lookup column.

Zap Action: GSheets - Lookup Row(s)

Or you would need to use the GSheets API.

Zap action: GSheets - API Request

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @Ko_living! 👋

It’s been a while since you’ve posted here so just wanted to stop by to see how you’re getting on. Were you able to set up the desired workflow with the help of a Lookup Spreadsheet Row or Get Many Spreadsheet Rows action to get the relevant codes? 

Please let us know whether you need any further help here at all, keen to ensure you’re all set! 🙂

Userlevel 1

Hi SamB,

thank you for checking in, yes am currently still having issues. I will send the details tomorrow when I have more time to post here! 🙂

Userlevel 1

Hi @Troy Tessalone 

Am still experiencing issues matching column G with each respective row’s input.

When I inputted the latest row (G6), I was supposed to get M5QZ84 but instead was sent Z51H9I which is the first row. 

Row G codes

Will need your kind assistance on this to check if the inputs i have indicated below is correct or needs to be edited.

Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Ko_living 

How is data being added to the GSheet? (via the connected GForm, via a Zap, or manually)

Looks like you have the same field “Code” set for the ‘Lookup Column’ and the ‘Supporting Lookup Column’.

You probably only need to set the ‘Lookup Column’.

Also, appears you have a static value of “G2” set for the ‘Lookup Value’.

Userlevel 1

@Troy Tessalone 

Its added from google forms via a zap.

I have removed ‘Supporting Lookup Column’ from 2. Lookup spreadsheet rows. 

I have tested the code again but i have ended up with code Z51H9I (value of G2) being sent to me instead of the latest row G7, 86WW8L.

Please assist. 

Regards, 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Ko_living 

If the data is added to the GForm via a Zap and the GSheets creates the Code column value, then why not try this…

Instead of the 2 GSheet steps, use this 1 GSheet step: GSheets - Lookup Row

Search by the Invoice ID.

Make sure to search bottom up.

That will return the first matching row found at the bottom, which should have the Code column populated.

Userlevel 1

@Troy Tessalone 

This is fantastic, I finally got it to work, thank you for all the help!

Regards, 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

That’s awesome news @Ko_living!

If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out to the Community. We’re always happy to help! 🤗