Best answer

How do I use Zapier to create new contacts in HubSpot from specific Slack messages and avoid duplicates?

• 14 February 2024
  • 2 replies

I have a Zap with trigger being Slack step “New Message Posted to Channel in Slack”. Formatter actions then extract data points from hte message, and should feed it into hubspot, create new contacts and map the data points to defined hubspot field. 

Several things the Zap does/does not do, I’d need to adjust

• currently the zap creates an empty contact account in hubspot (not even sure how this is possible without e.g an email address), for every other message, or even a message in a thread, of the selected channel. But I ONLY want a contact created when the message is in the specific format, that I selected in the trigger step, or that contains an email, not for every message of the channel
  • The Zap would ideally also need to check if this email adress already exists in Hubspot, and only create a new contact, if it does not exist, is this possible?

icon

Best answer by SamB 15 May 2024, 12:57

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Philipp_Cello 

Try adding a Filter as step 2 in the Zap: https://zapier.com/apps/filter/help

We would need to see screenshots with how your Zap steps are outlined and configured to have more context.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @Philipp_Cello 

I spotted that we hadn’t heard back from you on this thread or in the Support ticket you’ve got open with our support team. I expect you’ve solved this already but I wanted to shared Support’s instructions here in case it’s useful to others having similar issues in their Zaps:

Looking into the Zap runs, it appears the Zap is triggering for all messages in the channel, not just the ones you're interested in.

To rectify this, you can introduce a filter step in your Zap to ensure it only triggers for specific messages. 

Here's a help doc on how to add Filters in Zaps: Add conditions to Zaps with filters

For example, if you want to process only those messages that contain an email address, you can add a Filter step immediately after the Formatter step that extracts the email. Configure this Filter to continue the Zap only if the email value exists. This way, the Zap will not run for messages without an email.

Here are the steps for your reference:

1. Open your Zap and navigate to the step after the Formatter.

2. Click on the + button to add a new step.

3. Select Filter by Zapier from the list of apps.

4. Set up the Filter with Email (from the Formatter step) Exists.

5. Click on Continue and then Test & Continue.

6. Finish by Publishing the Zap.

Here's a screenshot showing how the Filter needs to be configured in this case for your reference: 

60eaca108095d39e543e91316a7378a7.png

(view larger)

Hope that helps! 🙂