Question

How do I set up a Zap to send automated Gmail based on Notion database updates?

• 21 November 2023
  • 3 replies

Hey all,

I am trying to setup a simple workflow (Or what I believe should be simple!)

I have a database in notion with a list of contacts (name, emails, linkedin etc) in the same database I have a field labelled "Status" which is formula based and a "Last Comms" date field, so if the "Last Comms" date is older than 3 months for example, the Status field will auto update with a message  that says "Time to reach out"

Now I'd like a notion to Gmail zap that automatically sends an email to the relevant contact whenever the Status changes to "Time to reach out".

I was able to setup the initial zap connection but 2 issues I encounter are:

• When connecting to the notion DB it only selects 3 records instead of the whole db
  • Even though I selected the trigger update connection, Zapier doesn't allow me to choose which field where the trigger should be pulled from, this instance Status

Quick disclaimer, I am using the free version of Zapier, if that makes a difference (Happy to use other similar tools if needed)Hope I made myself clear happy to expand more of course

Any guidance would be appreciated

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @KelvinThePM 

Good question.

I can't see all fields in my Zap

Not all Notion property types are supported in Zapier.
The following property types are not supported:
  • Files and media
  • Formulas
  • Relations
  • Rollups
  • Status
These property types will not appear in your triggers or actions.

hi @Troy Tessalone 

Thank you for the quick reply.

Based on your knowledge can I still accomplish what I’m trying to do? 

Also any reason why the remaining DB records do not show?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@KelvinThePM

When connecting to the notion DB it only selects 3 records instead of the whole db

Zapier only returns a max of 3 records from the Zap trigger step for you to use to configure the Zap action steps.

Even though I selected the trigger update connection, Zapier doesn't allow me to choose which field where the trigger should be pulled from, this instance Status

You would need to add a Filter as step 2 in the Zap: https://zapier.com/apps/filter/help

If formula field types aren’t returned as data points from Notion, then you won’t be able to use that field in a Filter condition.

NOTE: Zaps work while turned ON for new data going forward.