Question

How do I filter webstore orders with incorrect postcodes?

• 13 April 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge

Hi, I’ve seen a previous question where the solution was to run something before the filter - however I don’t want to do that.  I am using the fillter so we don’t burn through actions as the rule will run on every order from our webstore (7000+ orders per month).

We have an existing zap that has a filter to just pass through order details when it looks like an address is wrong.  The part I’m struggling with is where a customer doesn’t enter a postcode correctly.  We have an address finder on at the checkout - but customers sometimes still manage to get it completely wrong.

A correct postcode should be something like AB1 1AB, but we get AB, AB1 come through - are there any ways I can do this?

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @Bob Le Bob!

If I’m understanding correctly, you’d like a filter step that stops the Zap if the postcode field doesn’t have the correct number of characters, is that right? Or, more generally, you want a filter step that will check for a specific format (eg 2-3 characters, a space, and then 3 characters), have I understood that correctly?

There isn’t a way to add that logic to a filter step, I’m sorry about that. You need a step that looks at the format of the field and outputs something that the filter can read (eg a true or false statement) and then filter based on that. 

If your goal is to keep your tasks down, could you have the first filter step, then add the step that looks at the Format of the postcode and then a second filter step? I know it’s not perfect, but it would at least only check the postcode if the data passes the first filter. 

​I hope that helps, please let us know if you have any questions!

Badge

Hi @Bob Le Bob!

If your goal is to keep your tasks down, could you have the first filter step, then add the step that looks at the Format of the postcode and then a second filter step? I know it’s not perfect, but it would at least only check the postcode if the data passes the first filter. 

​I hope that helps, please let us know if you have any questions!

Thanks @Danvers - yes it is trying to keep steps down.  I think the issue I face, is that the filter step needs to be on the postcode at the beginning else it won’t find it’s way further down.

Is it possible to filter on something matching (or not matching) a list or part of a list?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Bob Le Bob 

Good question.

Try using the Is in or Is not in Filter operator options: https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8496180919949-Filter-and-path-rules-in-Zaps