Best answer

How can I split/parse data from an Invoice Ninja field and add it to my Google Sheet?

Hi, everyone I am fairly new to Zapier and I am still overwhelmed by the number of options. What I am trying to do is take data from Invoice ninja, edit that data and add it to my spreadsheet in the appropriate columns. I am guessing i need two zaps.

The data that I can get out of invoice ninja looks something like this:

Name of product
notes
Product description.
Duration: 9 Hours;
Date: 5 Aug 2022;
Start Time: TBC;
Start Location: TBC by guests.

That’s all in one section. How can I get this to split up so I can then add it to my google sheets, so that “Name of product” goes in the correct column, date in another but without “date:” just 5 Aug 2022, Start time in another (again without “start time”) and same for start location.

I hope this makes sense and someone can help me with this! I don’t know if there is an integration that can do this, or if it would require custom code.

Thanks so much!

icon

Best answer by TamRazzleDazzle 13 June 2022, 16:54

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey @gldc, great question! If you have control over how data appears in that section that you’re wanting to parse out, there is a little known Zapier hack you could try!

If you are able to get that data into this format with parenthesis before it’s submitted, Zapier will automatically recognize these as separate fields for you to use in subsequent steps. Data will need to be entered within the parenthesis for this to work. For example:

Name of product()

notes()

Product description()

Duration:(9 Hours)

Date:(5 Aug 2022)

Start Time:(TBC)

Start Location:(TBC by guests.)

This video covers a different use case but gives a good example of how one might use this kind of formatting and how the data would appear in the Zap. I would suggest starting around 2:26 into the video:

Thank you so much @jesse - I think that’s a good backup option for me. I do have control of the data but This data is coming directly from the invoice so I want it to be easily readable by the customer and the parenthesis make it less readable. 

Do you have any other ideas please? Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @gldc 

Most efficient would be to use 1 Code step but that requires knowledge of JavaScript or Python.

Otherwise, you can use multiple Formatter > Text > Split steps to split and isolate the desired data points.

https://zapier.com/apps/formatter/help

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Hey everybody, I just wanted to pop in and summarize some of the recommendations here 😊 

If you are able to get that data into this format with parenthesis before it’s submitted, Zapier will automatically recognize these as separate fields for you to use in subsequent steps. Data will need to be entered within the parenthesis for this to work. For example:

Name of product()

notes()

Product description()

Duration:(9 Hours)

This video covers a different use case but gives a good example of how one might use this kind of formatting and how the data would appear in the Zap. I would suggest starting around 2:26 into the video:

Another great option would be following Troy’s recommendations of using Formatter by Zapier. 

Otherwise, you can use multiple Formatter > Text > Split steps to split and isolate the desired data points. https://zapier.com/apps/formatter/help

And lastly if you’re feeling up to it, @Troy Tessalone’s suggestion of using a code step is a definitely going to be the most streamlined solution, but would require some prior knowledge of JavaScript or Python.

@gldc Let us know if you decided to try one of these solutions out. or if you were able to come up with something different! 🙂