Best answer

Gmail - only filter for mails that do NOT contain a label

• 4 November 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi there,

I use the “New Email Matching Search In Gmail” feature to filter out specific emails I use for a Zap.

Now I’d like to add an additional filter criterion to make sure that only emails go through that do NOT contain a label. I wonder how I write this.

My Search String looks like this so far:

in:inbox from:example@example.com AND subject:example AND "text1 in email" AND "text2 in email"

So my question is: how would I amend this Search String to also make sure that the email does not contain a label? Is it something like “AND no label”?

All help is appreciated!

Friendly,

Mathias

icon

Best answer by LowRider 7 November 2022, 13:30

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Glad it helped :) Can you please mark it as answer so others can benefit from it? 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi there,

thank you for your answer, it actually helped!

I first tried your method and then realized that for my purposes I can actually simply make it so that the trigger for the Zap is “New Email” and then I can simply have the Zap search for emails only that HAVE the label “Unread”. At the end of the Zap I have it remove the “Unread” label from the new email so it won’t be found again when the Zap triggers again.

Thanks again for your input!

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi Mathias, 

In order to do that, I believe you cannot include it in the search parameter. You would need to add a Filter by Zapier step after the Trigger (which would still not count against your task usage) and choose the field Label then make it Doest Not Exist. 

Hope this helps.