Best answer

Gmail - only filter for mails that do NOT contain a label

• 4 November 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi there,

I use the “New Email Matching Search In Gmail” feature to filter out specific emails I use for a Zap.

Now I’d like to add an additional filter criterion to make sure that only emails go through that do NOT contain a label. I wonder how I write this.

My Search String looks like this so far:

in:inbox from:example@example.com AND subject:example AND "text1 in email" AND "text2 in email"

So my question is: how would I amend this Search String to also make sure that the email does not contain a label? Is it something like “AND no label”?

All help is appreciated!

Friendly,

Mathias

icon

Best answer by LowRider 7 November 2022, 13:30

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi Mathias, 

In order to do that, I believe you cannot include it in the search parameter. You would need to add a Filter by Zapier step after the Trigger (which would still not count against your task usage) and choose the field Label then make it Doest Not Exist. 

Hope this helps. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi there,

thank you for your answer, it actually helped!

I first tried your method and then realized that for my purposes I can actually simply make it so that the trigger for the Zap is “New Email” and then I can simply have the Zap search for emails only that HAVE the label “Unread”. At the end of the Zap I have it remove the “Unread” label from the new email so it won’t be found again when the Zap triggers again.

Thanks again for your input!

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Glad it helped :) Can you please mark it as answer so others can benefit from it?