Question

Filtering data with Multi-App Zap help!

• 30 April 2024
  • 1 reply

Let me lay the ground work for what we are wanting to do.  We are an all-natural beauty company and we are wanting to utilize Zapier to pull a list to Google Sheets of our customers birthdays, addresses, and phone numbers so that we can send out hand written cards as well as give them a phone call on their birthday. 

There are plenty of apps that pull some of the info to automatically send emails and such, but for us to see the list with birthdates, addresses, and all the needed info I’m running into some difficulty.  We are a Shopify store, so we have integrated the Happy Birthday app to collect birthdays as they check out.  And we have also got the Helium Custom Fields that collects the birthday data, but also the up to date addresses and phone numbers available via Shopify.  

I have several zaps set up to create almost a ‘master list’ of these customers in Google Sheets. (not sure if this is necessary)  I have then running in a few different ways while were in the testing period to see which Zap runs most effectively.  

This is where I’m needing some extra help. 

1. Is there a way to make sure the lines are updated as the info in Shopify is updated?  If someone moves, I need to ensure the address is changed in our lists. Or is this better done by simply pulling a weekly, up to date list?
  2. We would like a Zap to weekly pull all birthdays for the following week and then email a Google Sheet with Email, Names, Address, Phone and Birthdate. (If we need to skip the master list, we can.  This was me testing out Zaps as we went along.)  When I use the Schedule as the trigger, it won’t allow me to have it pull info from Custom Fields as an Action.  Birthdays on Shopify are simply a metafield, and can’t be searched from what I’m finding, so we need to use the Custom Fields app.  How do we best pull this specific Birthday data from these apps with Zapier?
  3. I’d like this to be as automated as possible so that we don’t have to utilize a master list and filter it like crazy, manually every month and risk losing any data.

I’d love your insight and possibly any other solutions you may see that I’m currently not seeing!

Thanks so much!

Leslie

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Welcome to the Community, @WildcraftedLeslie! 🎉

I wonder if it might be easier to get the birthdays all added into a Google Calendar. Then set up a Zap to trigger X number of days before the birthday event, search for the relevant customer in Shopify to obtain their current address details then send a notification to you to send out the hand written card.

For example:

• Trigger: Event Start (Google Calendar) - set to trigger X number of days before the customers birthday event starts. 
  • Action: Find Customer (Shopify) - searches for the customer to obtain their current address.
  • Action: Send Email (Gmail) - sends an email to you with the customer’s address details.

A similar approach could be applied for creating a Zap to send you a notification on the day of the event. You’d just set the Event Start trigger to trigger X number of hours or minutes before the start of the event. And send an email reminder to call them, that includes details like their name and phone number.

In order to get the birthdays into the events you could set up a temporary Zap that uses the New Spreadsheet Row (Google Sheets) trigger and has a Create Detailed Event (Google Calendar) action to create the event. Then you could use our Transfer feature to import the existing birthdays into the calendar. See our Transfer existing data using a Zap guide for details on how to set up a transfer.

From there, you’d also want to set up a Zap to add your new customer’s birthdays into the calendar as well:

• Trigger: New Customer (Shopify) - set to trigger when a new customer is created.
  • Action: Create Detailed Event (Google Calendar) - creates a birthday event for them in the calendar.

Do you think that approach would work for your needs? If I've misunderstood what you're looking to do or you run into any issues in setting this up do let me know - happy to help further!