Question

Error connecting to MySQL database in Azure.

Userlevel 1

I created a user with all privileges in DB, allowed access from 54.86.9.50 to DB. When I connect from CLI to DB I'm successful, but when I enter the same credentials to Zapier I get error

authentication failed: Could not connect with zapier@olvin and provided password. The response we got from the server is included below for debugging purposes. (pymysql.err.InternalError) (1043, 'Bad handshake')

MySQL is running version 5.7

When I enforce SSL on DB and enter contents of https://www.digicert.com/CACerts/BaltimoreCyberTrustRoot.crt.pem (see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/mysql/concepts-ssl-connection-security) to SSL Client Certificate field, I get error

authentication failed: Could not connect with zapier@olvin-dev and provided password. The response we got from the server is included below for debugging purposes. [SSL] PEM lib (_ssl.c:3358)

Can someone please help with connecting?

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @Jan Dolezel!

Happy to see that you’ve reached out to our Support team and they’ve helped you out with this. 

For anyone else running into this issue, here’s what our Support person had to say:

The issue here is that our MySQL integration doesn't technically support a database hosted on Microsoft Azure. That bad handshake error is what happens when we try to connect to an instance like that. You're not the first person who requested this, so I've added you to the feature request. I don't have an ETA on when that would be added, but we'll be sure to email you once it's available.

In the meantime, other folks have reported success by accessing mysql through a virtual machine (azure), and not as a direct service of azure. To be honest, I'm not sure exactly how that works, but it might get you started in the right direction.

Hi @Jan Dolezel!

Happy to see that you’ve reached out to our Support team and they’ve helped you out with this. 

For anyone else running into this issue, here’s what our Support person had to say:

The issue here is that our MySQL integration doesn't technically support a database hosted on Microsoft Azure. That bad handshake error is what happens when we try to connect to an instance like that. You're not the first person who requested this, so I've added you to the feature request. I don't have an ETA on when that would be added, but we'll be sure to email you once it's available.

In the meantime, other folks have reported success by accessing mysql through a virtual machine (azure), and not as a direct service of azure. To be honest, I'm not sure exactly how that works, but it might get you started in the right direction.

Is this fixed ??   Its  key to my company choosing Zapier or Heko.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@Simonlidrew I don’t know for certain, but I’m 90% sure this will not be accomplished within a couple of weeks. It’s not so much that it’s broken it’s just not built to handle connecting to a database on Microsoft Azure. 

Have you tried the workaround?

What is Heko?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @Simonlidrew!

As @PaulKortman mentioned, it’s not necessarily that anything is broken. We’ve got it added as a feature requested, and I’ve added your vote for it.

We did have one workaround from a customer: 

We have finally solved the problem by accessing mysql through a virtual machine (azure), and not as a direct service of azure.

Not sure if that helps at all but I thought I would offer it!

Can you please add us to the list of people who need this? Big issue for us and as of right now its still not working.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @Albert C Could I double check the issue that you’re running into - are you trying to use the MySQL Zapier integration to connect to a database hosted on Microsoft Azure?

Yes that is the exact situation. We use Mysql 8.0 on azure (not a virtual server)

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Yes that is the exact situation. We use Mysql 8.0 on azure (not a virtual server)

Hi @Albert C - I’ve gone and added you to the feature request. We’ll be in touch as soon as there is an update.

Thanks!

Userlevel 1

@steph.n 
You can add me too
Just to be clear, it’s a bug fix not a feature request right?
It’s stated that you integrale with MYSQL but it’s not the case if you don’t support Azure.
Is there any workaround?

Thanks
D

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @David Huin ,

I have added you to this list! Pulling from Nick’s response above to offer more context and a potential workaround:

“The issue here is that our MySQL integration doesn't technically support a database hosted on Microsoft Azure. That bad handshake error is what happens when we try to connect to an instance like that. You're not the first person who requested this, so I've added you to the feature request. I don't have an ETA on when that would be added, but we'll be sure to email you once it's available.

In the meantime, other folks have reported success by accessing mysql through a virtual machine (azure), and not as a direct service of azure. To be honest, I'm not sure exactly how that works, but it might get you started in the right direction.”

Hoping that is helpful for your workflow- you will receive any updates we have via email!

Hi @Albert C - I’ve gone and added you to the feature request. We’ll be in touch as soon as there is an update.

Thanks!

Hi, I would like to be added to this feature request as well. I also use Azure MySQL and am getting the same error. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @ggoyetteSVG!

Thanks for your message, I’ve added you to the list of users that would like to see that feature request. 🙂