Question

Can Alexa routines trigger a Zap automatically? Without me saying anything.

• 26 November 2023
  • 3 replies

I’m trying to use Zapier to replace what I was previously doing with Alexa and IFTTT.

Alexa sensor detects temperature above 80 degrees → That starts a routine that launches a Zap that triggers a Pushover notification that says “Temp above 80 degrees.”

Right now, the closest I can get is the Alexa routine launching Zapier but then Zapier waits for me to say the trigger phrase. How can I get Alexa to launch Zapier and say the trigger phase for me? Something like “Alexa, launch Zapier and (trigger phrase).

It doesn’t feel like automation if we have to do it ourselves...

Thanks,

Steven

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Steven114 

Good question.

Feedback from a Zapier Community Admin for a related topic:

There isn’t a way to start an Alexa routine without speaking the phrase but we’ve got a feature request to have an action added to the Amazon Alexa app that would allow you to have a different event trigger the Zap and then start an Alexa routine. So I’ve gone ahead and added your vote to that.

I can’t make any promises as to when that action would become available to use but we’ll be sure to send you an email notification as soon as it is! 🙂

Perhaps try using Apple Shortcuts.

Hi Troy, thanks for responding. I just want to clarify that I’m NOT trying to get a Zap to trigger an Alexa routine, I’m trying to get an Alexa routine to trigger a Zap. Right now, the Alexa routine tries to trigger the Zap, but all it does it does is wake up Zapier to listen for the trigger phrase, but it doesn’t automatically do anything. I can’t be awake 24/7 to tell Zapier to do something every time the routine runs.

We don’t have any Apple products…

Thanks,

Steven

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Steven114 

With the current options available in the Amazon Alexa Zap app it doesn’t appear that what you are trying to configure is possible.