Best answer

Call myself/set alarm when leaving a location

• 1 November 2021
  • 9 replies

Hi, 

I would like to ask you if I could build a Zap (workflow) that when I leave my house then my phone call/alarm to myself to double check I locked all the windows. Is it possible to do so with Zapier? 

I apologize if the question is silly and obvious. This is my first time trying to use Zapier. 

Best,

Tom

icon

Best answer by AppGuyAaron 1 November 2021, 18:40

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

9 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hi @TomPark 

To start out - I just want to say that Zapier is an amazing platform and as an automations expert I use it for 90% of all of the client work that I do. 

However - and I hope I don't get in trouble for this:  

In this particular case, Amazon’s Alexa app (Which is free, and you do not need to have a physical Echo or other device to use it) is I believe your best tool here. 

Inside the Alexa app you would want to create a “routine” of the type “location”. Set your home location and then a trigger for “leaves”. (When you leave the location).

From there you can setup what you want it to do - play a sound, send a message, etc. 

`Aaron

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

So in mine it is between “Smart Home” and “Alarms. 

I would check your permissions. If you did not allow location permission when you installed the app, that could be preventing that option from appearing. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Please keep me posted! Id love to know the resolution in case this ever comes up again.

Hi @TomPark 

To start out - I just want to say that Zapier is an amazing platform and as an automations expert I use it for 90% of all of the client work that I do. 

However - and I hope I don't get in trouble for this:  

In this particular case, Amazon’s Alexa app (Which is free, and you do not need to have a physical Echo or other device to use it) is I believe your best tool here. 

Inside the Alexa app you would want to create a “routine” of the type “location”. Set your home location and then a trigger for “leaves”. (When you leave the location).

From there you can setup what you want it to do - play a sound, send a message, etc. 

`Aaron

Hi, 

Thanks for the great tip and the fast reponse! 

I am working on this but I am having a difficulty of finding the routine of the type ‘location’.

It seems the triggers I have are voice, schedule, smart home, alarms, and sound detection. 

Could you provide me a little more explanation about this? I am using Android (LG V50) and I wonder if the routine of the type ‘location’ might be only for iPhone…?

Best,

So in mine it is between “Smart Home” and “Alarms. 

I would check your permissions. If you did not allow location permission when you installed the app, that could be preventing that option from appearing. 

Thank you for your reply.

I had allowed permissions of location and some other beforehand but was not having the location type routine. I believe there is some other differences between our phone settings :( 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Try this. Go into the app settings. There is a setting called “Your Locations” (at least there is in mine). 

Go into that and set your home location if you have not already. That might make the option become available. 

I had set deivce location, home and work location, and always allowed location permission access so far but unfortunately I am not seeing the location on routine. I will investigate further :) 

Oh wait Aaron, are you in US? I am in Canada and that’s why it is not available as I found out by calling Alexa customer service. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

AH! Yes, I am in the US. Glad we figured that out!