Best answer

Call myself/set alarm when leaving a location

• 1 November 2021
  • 9 replies

Hi, 

I would like to ask you if I could build a Zap (workflow) that when I leave my house then my phone call/alarm to myself to double check I locked all the windows. Is it possible to do so with Zapier? 

I apologize if the question is silly and obvious. This is my first time trying to use Zapier. 

Best,

Tom

icon

Best answer by AppGuyAaron 1 November 2021, 18:40

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

9 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hi @TomPark 

To start out - I just want to say that Zapier is an amazing platform and as an automations expert I use it for 90% of all of the client work that I do. 

However - and I hope I don't get in trouble for this:  

In this particular case, Amazon’s Alexa app (Which is free, and you do not need to have a physical Echo or other device to use it) is I believe your best tool here. 

Inside the Alexa app you would want to create a “routine” of the type “location”. Set your home location and then a trigger for “leaves”. (When you leave the location).

From there you can setup what you want it to do - play a sound, send a message, etc. 

`Aaron

Hi @TomPark 

To start out - I just want to say that Zapier is an amazing platform and as an automations expert I use it for 90% of all of the client work that I do. 

However - and I hope I don't get in trouble for this:  

In this particular case, Amazon’s Alexa app (Which is free, and you do not need to have a physical Echo or other device to use it) is I believe your best tool here. 

Inside the Alexa app you would want to create a “routine” of the type “location”. Set your home location and then a trigger for “leaves”. (When you leave the location).

From there you can setup what you want it to do - play a sound, send a message, etc. 

`Aaron

Hi, 

Thanks for the great tip and the fast reponse! 

I am working on this but I am having a difficulty of finding the routine of the type ‘location’.

It seems the triggers I have are voice, schedule, smart home, alarms, and sound detection. 

Could you provide me a little more explanation about this? I am using Android (LG V50) and I wonder if the routine of the type ‘location’ might be only for iPhone…?

Best,

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

So in mine it is between “Smart Home” and “Alarms. 

I would check your permissions. If you did not allow location permission when you installed the app, that could be preventing that option from appearing. 

So in mine it is between “Smart Home” and “Alarms. 

I would check your permissions. If you did not allow location permission when you installed the app, that could be preventing that option from appearing. 

Thank you for your reply.

I had allowed permissions of location and some other beforehand but was not having the location type routine. I believe there is some other differences between our phone settings :( 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Try this. Go into the app settings. There is a setting called “Your Locations” (at least there is in mine). 

Go into that and set your home location if you have not already. That might make the option become available. 

I had set deivce location, home and work location, and always allowed location permission access so far but unfortunately I am not seeing the location on routine. I will investigate further :) 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Please keep me posted! Id love to know the resolution in case this ever comes up again.

Oh wait Aaron, are you in US? I am in Canada and that’s why it is not available as I found out by calling Alexa customer service. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

AH! Yes, I am in the US. Glad we figured that out!