Question

BigQuery Select Save to to a New Google Sheet Daily Don't Override Data

• 18 January 2024
  • 9 replies

I want to run a query on a schedule and save it to a new google sheet in a specified folder every day. I would want to sheet to be name ABC_{DATE_TIME} where date time would be the date and time it was created. 

When using googles connected sheets it overwrites the data and it is limited 50K rows so I am looking for a no or low code solution using zapier.

Thanks

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

9 replies

Thanks so much for offering to help. Let me try to provide context and whatever else I can.

At 10:00 am daily 

Run a query against Bigquery database (Example)

SELECT * FROM `my-project.my-data-set.mytable` WHERE my_date_field = CURRENT_DATE('America/New_York')-2

Take results and save in a folder called Inbound FBA Details(which I can create in my Drive) in a file called 

inbound_fba_details{-DATE-TIME}.csv where the DATE-TIME is replaced with the date and time the file was created. 

It can be either a csv file or a google sheet.

But sometimes I may have over 100K results. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@joecohn 

Looks like this will create a Job.

Can you show screenshots of the DATA OUT from testing the step?

You may have to add a Delay, this Zap action: BigQuery - Get Rows for Job Completed

Or use a different Zap with this trigger: BigQuery - Query Job Completed (with Row Dat)

NOTE: Results with 100k rows may exceed the data limits for Zap steps.

I am not that familiar as this is my first real foray in zapier and I just can’t seem to get it working. (This query returns a about 4K rows), I will looks into what you

This keeps happening when i get to test. @Troy Tessalone Thanks for whatever insight you can offer

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@joecohn 

Guesses:

• Request is taking too long and timing out.
  • Response is too large for Zapier to handle.

Perhaps try opening a ticket with Zapier Support for possible guidance in troubleshooting: https://zapier.com/app/history/

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @joecohn 

Good question.

Make sure to review the help articles for using GSheets in Zaps to be aware of record limitations. (10K)

https://zapier.com/apps/google-sheets/help

You may be able to get around this using the GSheets API via these GSheet actions:

• Custom Action
  • API Request

I may have mis-spoken a bit. I am ok with saving it as a csv if GoogleDrive. The main thing I needs is somewhat larger datasets to be in files accessible outside the database. I want to make sure a new file gets created with each export and that it runs daily. 

Any help would be appreciated

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @joecohn 

Can you post screenshots with how your Zap steps are outlined and configured to give us more context?

Zap 1

1. Trigger: Schedule
  2. Action: Run a Query

Zap 2

1. Trigger: BigQuery - Query Job Completed with Row Data
  2. Action: GSheets

I keep trying to get step 2 to work and that does not seem to work for me. It doesn’t seem to be running my query correctly. It is a simple select statement

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@joecohn 

We would need to see screenshots with how your Zap steps are configured to have full context.