Best answer

Best way to upload a CSV to Mailchimp via Zapier?

• 20 June 2023
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi there,

I’m looking to create a zap that uploads a new CSV file each week into mail chimp and then sends a targeted email to them clients within the CSV. I have setup all of the template emails, I just now need to get the client data into mail chimp without using an API which I'm not sure if this is possible.

So far I'm working with the following:-

New file dropped into google drive -→ CSV file ---→ Based on that trigger an upload to mail chimp ---→ Add/update new subscriber then ----→ send Campaign in Mailchimp but I’m not sure if this is going to work due to the way the ‘Add/Update’ segment is looking.

Any help would be appreciated to get this to work! :)

icon

Best answer by SamB 20 June 2023, 15:04

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Welcome to the Community, @ABC Warranty! 🎉

Ah, yes the Mailchimp app doesn’t have an action to create a new list/audience, and its Add/Update Subscriber action only adds or updates a  subscriber at a time. So you’d need to use a Looping by Zapier action to add multiple subscribers.

We’ve got a feature request open for a “Create Audience” action to be added to the Mailchimp app, which appears to be what you need here. So I’ve gone ahead and added your vote to that. I can’t give any estimate on when that might be implemented by but we’ll be sure to email you as soon as it is!

In the meantime, I wonder if you might be able to use a API Request (beta) action to connect to Mailchimp’s API and create the list that way. It looks like it’s possible to create lists using their lists endpoint (Add list). In which case you’d need to use the following trigger and actions in the Zap:

• Trigger: New File in Folder (Google Drive) - runs when the CSV file is added.
  • Action: API Request (Beta) (Mailchimp) - makes a call to the Mailchimp API to create the new list/audience. (Set up an API request action)
  • Action: Utilities > Import CSV File (Formatter by Zapier) - imports the information from the CSV and outputs them as line items. (Import CSV files into Zaps)
  • Action: Create a loop from line items (Looping by Zapier) - takes the line items from the Formatter action to be used for each loop (Loop your Zap actions)
    • Action: Add/Update Subscriber (Mailchimp) - adds the subscriber to the audience.

I wouldn’t recommend using the Send Campaign action within the loop as that action sends the campaign to everyone on the associated list, so it would be sent out multiple times. It might be better to set up an Automation within Mailchimp that sends an email to a subscriber when they’re given a specific tag. Then in the Zap you can add the tag to them in the Add/Update Subscriber action. 

Do you think that approach will work? If I've misunderstood what you're looking to do or you run into any issues in setting this up just let us know. Always happy to help further!

Userlevel 1

Hi SamB

I totally get what you’re saying, and I think that way would work, however, the only problem I’m running into is the App Extensions bit, I need to setup an API request within Zapier (Step 2 on your list), could you possible help me with that?

KR

Tom

Userlevel 1

Hi @SamB 

If I’m understanding this correctly, I don’t think I need the API Part as we already have an audience, so I just want to add new clients from the CSV weekly into the main audience, but then tag them with the relevant stage they are at, then send them an email. I then need to make sure on the next weekly upload, it doesn’t send the same email to them again! 

I have a Zap setup currently, similar to what you have stated above, but it’s still only adding one email! and not all the emails + data on the CSV?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @ABC Warranty,

I’m jumping in to see if I can help!

I believe Looping by Zapier will handle the adding of multiple emails to your Mailchimp app. It will show as separate runs on your Zap History.

Hopefully, this helps! 😊