Question

Add info to Salesforce and send email to tagged MailChimp subscribers even if Squarespace form already submitted

• 9 February 2023
  • 5 replies

Badge

I am eager to try this to see if I can get it to work! I currently have a zap that is based on a Squarespace form submission adding info to Salesforce. I’d like to try to add steps to add/update the contact in Mailchimp and add them to a journey with tags being added and removed like you suggest.

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

5 replies

If I understand your requirement correctly, you want to send an email to your subscribers via MailChimp every time they submit their email address on your Squarespace form, regardless of whether they have already submitted it in the past. Here's one possible way to achieve this:

1. First, create a new audience in MailChimp to store the subscribers who submit their email addresses via the Squarespace form.

2. In Squarespace, you can use their built-in integration with Zapier to send the email addresses to MailChimp. You can set up a Zap that triggers whenever a new submission is received on your Squarespace form, and add the email address to the MailChimp audience you created in step 1.

3. Next, you can set up a tag in MailChimp for the subscribers who have submitted their email addresses. You can create a new tag in MailChimp and add it to the subscribers in the audience whenever a new submission is received in Squarespace.

4. Finally, you can create a new email campaign in MailChimp that sends an email with the download link to subscribers who are tagged as having submitted their email address. And with linkedin navigator chrome extension, you will always retrieve new contact details.

By using this setup, every time a subscriber submits their email address on your Squarespace form, they will be added to your MailChimp audience and tagged as having submitted their email. This will trigger the email with the download link, ensuring that they receive it every time they submit their email address, even if they have already done so in the past.

Badge

Thank you @Florian Haas for your response!Here’s some of the complexities of what I am trying to do.

Those who submit the Squarespace form may or may not already be part of our Mailchimp audience. I think what I decided was the completion of the Squarespace form was going to tag them, send them on an email journey, then untag them when the journey was compete.

My question about #4 on your list is that I believe I read someplace (that I am not re-finding right now!, I think it was on the MC site) that if you add them to a campaign that everyone who is tagged and in that campaign will get every email sent every time.

I’m also trying to figure out how to thread the zap together with what it does in Salesforce. It’s all based on the submission of that Squarespace form. Can I add it to the end of the zap? I don’t want to waste zaps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi there @pg0112! 👋 

I think you’re correct about needing to untag them. You’d want to make sure that the tag is removed after the email is sent so that any subsequent emails aren’t sent to everyone else with that same tag. 

It would be possible to add a Salesforce action to the end of the Zap. But you might need more than one Saleforce action though depending on what you’re looking to do. For example if you were looking to update an existing contact or record in Salesforce you’d likely need a search action (like Find Record) to find the contact/record you want to update. Then follow that up with an update action (like Update Contact or Update Record for example) in the Zap. 

Hope that helps. Please do let us know if you run into any issues in setting that up at all! 🙂

Badge

@SamB -thank you for your response.  The zap I already have and use successfully has the steps for the Salesforce action. It’s got 4 tasks, kind of like you describe. It finds the contact, updates the contact, and creates an opportunity.

I want to replicate that zap, but add the Mailchimp steps. Am I understanding that it would be your inclination to add the mailchimp related tasks before the Salesforce related tasks in the Zap?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Good question, @pg0112! 🙂

It really depends on whether there’s any information an app has that another app needs in the workflow. For example, if the Mailchimp actions are dependant on information that would only come directly from one of the Salesforce actions, then you’d want to add them in after the Salesforce actions so that information is then available to select in the Mailchimp actions. 

Otherwise, you could add the Mailchimp actions in either before or after the Salesforce actions and it wouldn’t matter as they would run independently. That said, if you’ve got filters in the Zap then you’d put the Mailchimp actions in either before or after the filter depending on whether the filter conditions need to be met before carrying out the actions in Mailchimp or not. Does that help to clarify things?