Best answer

Access to Discord channels threads messages

• 1 March 2023
  • 7 replies

Hi dear community, im looking for a solution around being able to read or get access to threads inside discord channels. Any ideas how to? ID of thread wont populate in the channel dropdown, and zapier cant read inside it. 

Basically in doing an integration between a specific messages (using a filter in the middle) from a thread in discord, to send to a private channel in Slack. Should be easy. 

Appreciate!

Javier

icon

Best answer by ken.a 15 March 2023, 23:48

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey @JavierEotlabs!  

I just added a threaded reply in Discord and was able to pull it in as a sample and see the threaded message’s ID and the ID for referenced message:

7d35bbc388581afb71194ebc3b95dde7.png

Not sure I’m 100% clear on what your use case is here. Are you looking to only add threaded messages to the private channel in Slack?

If so you could set up the filter to only continue if the  referenced_message id field Exists, meaning it contains a value. That field appears to only come through when it’s a threaded reply that’s triggering the Zap. 

Or is it more that you’re looking to post a reply to a thread on Discord via a Zap?

If yes, you could try using a Webhook by Zapier action to post the message on Discord. I wrote an article that explains how to embed images in Discord messages that you might find useful to reference:

I’ve not tested posting threaded replies but in theory, to get the message to be posted as a reply you’ll just need to specify the ID of the main (originating) message under the message_reference in the webhook so that it knows where the reply should be added to.

Hope that helps to get you started. Please do let us know how you get on!

Hi @SamB ! Thanks for your quick and elaborated answer.

The filter makes sense, but the Discord zap is never triggering by a message inside a thread in the channel that is supposed to be checking on. I’ve just checked the history just to see if the filter was wrongly filtering, but its not the case.

Check this thread called > “Tweet your Raspberry Pi connection to Earn Additional Rewards (25)” inside #community-challenges. 

Any messages inside there, or any other thread inside a channel are triggering the “New message in channel”

Check for example, image on the bottom, the message “New Submission” is what actually I want to send to Slack.

Any ideas are very appreciated! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Happy to help here, @JavierEotlabs! 🙂

Ah ok, so it sounds like it’s only threaded messages within a specific thread that you’d want the filter to allow, right?

If that’s the case, I’d suggest setting the filter to check that the referenced_message id contains the ID of that “Tweet Your Raspberry Pi Connection to Earn Additional Rewards” message. If you’re able to pull in a test sample for a message within the desired message thread then the ID should come through in the referenced_message id field. Otherwise you’d need to find the ID for the message within Discord directly.

Once you’ve got the ID, you can type it (or copy and paste it) directly into the filter, which would look something like this:
55117fcd7c40072bf560602e59d197dd.png

That would then only allow messages that are within that specific message thread to be posted to Slack. Want to give that a go and let us know if that does the trick?

Sadly this never worked.

Messages from inside a thread in a channel never gets to zapier. No idea why

Let me know if there is any other way to do this. Could you perhaps try it your own?

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @JavierEotlabs,

I’m sorry if the troubleshooting steps provided by SamB didn’t work. That said, digging deeper into this, we do have an open feature request about support for threads on our Discord integration.

I've added you as an interested user to this feature request, which helps to increase the visibility of the request and allows us to notify you when the feature is implemented. I don't have an ETA of when or if this will happen, but we will definitely email you if it does become a reality.

Also, we have a main thread about this feature request here where we’ll be posting any updates: 

Thank you! 😊

Any news ETA on this? I need it too :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @Israphil,

I have added you to the open feature request. However, I am unable to provide you with a specific timeframe for implementing a feature as there are several factors that come into play.

We consider the complexity of the feature, the number of users requesting it, and the scope of the feature when prioritizing our tasks.

Additionally, the timeframe may vary depending on whether the feature is solely within our control or if we need to collaborate with other app partners to implement it. Hence, the timeframe can range widely.

Hopefully, this helps!