Question

How to create trigger for updated records.

• 2 August 2023
  • 6 replies

Badge

Hi Team,

I have build one trigger to get updated contacts from my Freshsales CRM account.

When I test this trigger in developer environment I can get all the updated records. When I the publish the trigger iam not getting all the updated contacts.

I have build this trigger as mentioned in the Zapier documentation please refer the image below

Image of to get Updated Record Topic

Any one can help us on this ?

Thanks in Advance.

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Nagamanickam 

Good question.

As a possible alternative to building a custom Zap app integration for Freshsales, perhaps look into using Freshsales Workflows to fire a webhook.

Zap trigger: Webhook - Catch Hook

https://support.freshsales.io/en/support/solutions/articles/228946-how-to-use-workflows-with-webhooks-in-freshsales-

Badge

Hi @Troy Tessalone ,

Is it feasible to create a trigger in Zapier that fetches an updated record based on the time it was last updated?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Nagamanickam 

Did you look into this help article?

As a possible alternative to building a custom Zap app integration for Freshsales, perhaps look into using Freshsales Workflows to fire a webhook.

Zap trigger: Webhook - Catch Hook

https://support.freshsales.io/en/support/solutions/articles/228946-how-to-use-workflows-with-webhooks-in-freshsales-

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Hey @Nagamanickam , 

As Troy suggested, webhooks typically offer the best user experience for triggers that fire on updated records. 

However, this should also be possible with a polling trigger. 

As the doc you referenced notes, it’s super important that the ids returned in the trigger are unique to each update. Otherwise, if we just used the record’s standard id, for example, the record might get caught in deduplication and be ignored.

The most common way to give each id a unique value is to combine the record’s id and the timestamp of the update, as described in that doc. It sounds like you’re already doing this, correct?

If you’re already returning update-specific ids, then two other suggestions that come to mind are:

• If possible, pass a sorting parameter in the request
  • Similarly, ensure that the response is sorted in descending order, with the most-recently-updated records returned first)
Badge

Hi @connorz ,

I already have knowledge about webhooks. We are developing this feature for all users, not just for paid users. However, we are not using a webhook because it requires payment. As I mentioned before, I built this feature following the documentation provided by Zapier.

Additionally, I have taken care of appending the update time to the ID. So, I believe the deduplication process will not miss any records.

Furthermore, I have implemented sorting, and the records are retrieved in descending order only.

Now, I would like to understand why the trigger is not pulling all the data when it's published.

Thanks,

Nagamanickam.

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Hi @Nagamanickam,

Regarding...

I would like to understand why the trigger is not pulling all the data when it's published 

...when turning a Zap on, the Zap will make an initial poll. For records seen in the initial poll, Zapier will remember the ids and deduplicate against them in future polls. But it’s unlikely that the Zap would receive ALL existing records. 

Non-unique ids are usually the cause of Zaps failing to trigger on updated records, but it sounds like you’ve implemented the best practices already. 

With that in mind, it’s a bit difficult to say for sure what’s happening without looking at the logs. If you haven’t already done so, it might help to check out the requests in Monitoring.

Otherwise, please feel free to reach out to our Platform Support team, who will be glad to help investigate in detail: 

https://developer.zapier.com/contact