Question

Webhooks by Zapier - POST - when does it get sent hydrated?

• 5 October 2023
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1

Good afternoon,

I am using a Zap from Zapier: Webhooks by Zapier to post a file (email attachment from a previous zap) to our own endpoints. Everything is tested and works as expected, except for the format on how we receive the file from the POST webhook call.

Lately we had an issue, because the zap would send the file sometimes hydrated sometimes not.

• What is causing that?
  • How can the zap be set so that it does not use hydration?

Found a similar issue in the community here (not resolved yet): https://community.zapier.com/code-webhooks-52/sending-a-binary-file-to-s3-using-webhooks-by-zapier-25246

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @marcolino95 

Good question.

We would need to see detailed screenshots with how your Zap step is configured to have more context.

Userlevel 1

@Troy Tessalone thanks for your reply.

The issue is the same of the one linked in the post. And the main question is “Can a zap hydration be deactivate?” I found online that it should not be possible, but I’d like to have a confirmation. And following up on that, how can we “dehydrate” the attachment file data received on the side of our custom endpoint? It’s an endpoint running on an express server in nodejs.

Here are screenshot for eventual context.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@marcolino95 

It’s unclear which Gmail trigger you are using.

Please post screenshots with how that Zap trigger is configured.

An email may have 0+ attachments.

You may want to use a different Zap trigger for Gmail.

Userlevel 1

Hi @Troy Tessalone , thank you.

Here is the setup of the Gmail trigger. We are triggering based on a “New Labeled Email” event:

Which could be a different trigger to avoid having it hydrated?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@marcolino95 

A Labeled email could have 0+ Attachments, which may be contributing to the issue.

In the Webhooks - POST action there is a field for File.

Otherwise, you may need to first host the file, then pass thru the public direct download link to the hosted file, instead of trying to use a file object.

Userlevel 1

@Troy Tessalone I am using the field for File.

Since the issue is of the file attachments - potentially 0+ - coming from the Gmail Zap, would a filter solution work to create awareness for the “webhook” zap, so that it does not get hydrated?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@marcolino95 

That is something to try.