Question

Webhook POST adding fields that aren't configured in the payload

• 19 December 2023
  • 5 replies

I have a catch hook:

The data is being “caught” successfully.

Then I feed it to the POST:

I’m posting this to a database.

When the payload is formed for the POST, Zapier is adding fields to the payload that weren’t specified above:

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Prompt 

That may be due to missing properties the API endpoint expects to receive.

Which API docs are you referencing to configure the POST request? (link)

It’s not that at all.

That field doesn’t exist in the database.

Zapier is adding that field to the POST payload eventhough it isn’t configured anywhere at all in the WEBHOOK configuration.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Prompt

Here’s an explanation from ChatGPT:

The error message you're seeing is indicating that a specific column, description_properties, is being referenced in a database or data operation, but this column does not exist in the table event_feed_from_tcr. The HTTP Status Code 400 typically means that the server could not understand the request due to invalid syntax.

Here's a breakdown of the error message components:

• Column 'description_properties': This is the name of the column that the operation is attempting to interact with.
  • Relation 'event_feed_from_tcr': In database terms, 'relation' typically refers to a table. So this is the name of the table in the database.
  • Does not exist: This indicates that within the specified table, the column being referenced cannot be found.
  • HTTP Status Code: 400: This is a standard response code in HTTP that signifies a bad request. The server could not understand the request due to something that is perceived to be a client error (e.g., malformed request syntax).

If you're attempting to run a database operation (like a query or an update), you should:

1. Check the table event_feed_from_tcr to ensure that it exists and that you have the correct spelling and case for the table name.
  2. Verify that the column description_properties exists in that table. If it doesn't, you'll need to either add it to the table or modify your operation to reference a column that does exist.
  3. Ensure that your request is correctly formatted as per the requirements of the server or API you're sending the request to. This might involve setting the correct headers, using the correct HTTP method, or structuring the body of the request correctly.

To resolve such an error, you would typically review the database schema, correct the query or command you're trying to execute, and ensure that all referenced entities exist and are correctly spelled. If you're not familiar with the database schema, you might need to consult documentation or a database administrator.

I have fully specified the fields I want to post to the webhook.  It does not include the description_properties field.  And yet, Zapier is adding that field to the webhook POST.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Prompt 

This response is FROM the URL you are attempting to post to. (obfuscated so we can’t tell and we don’t know which API endpoint docs you are referencing to configure the POST request)

Zapier is not adding extra fields beyond what you’ve defined as seen in the DATA IN.

Have you tried reaching out to the app’s API support for possible guidance on how to troubleshoot?