Question

Send the attachment using SMTP after receiving it via Webhook.

• 21 September 2023
  • 9 replies

i sent a couple PDFs using a webhook but i cant include them as attachments in a SMTP action

The webhhook is generated from google sheets. 

and i can assure the pdf is created ok since i can test it sending it directly to my gmail. i need the smtp from zapier since i need to add extra functionality

Any help is appreciated

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

9 replies

Looks like this method won’t work with the way Google Drive send its URLs. It works with any link with a file extension. Say .jpg or .png as the example in the article. Haven't tried with a .pdf, and I don't see a way that Google Drive can give a link in that structure. 

I see a workaround to what I am looking for by using the email parser. Sending my files to that address, and then I am able to further use the attachment as file to do what I want next. 

Thanks @Troy Tessalone 

i am jumping back to this.. but still cant get it done.. 

I am not getting the same output in the Hydration process:

I am using a GET method and sending the public google drive URL

And what I get as output is a long string of text, very different as the example in the article. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@SnoopLion 

Try mapping the returned value, which is a file object, to the Attachment step.

mmm seems like the right thing to do but for reason all i get back is a lot of text instead of the PDF. 

i am passing the url of the public file right as it comes . 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@SnoopLion 

Ok, so in this case it does need to be a file object.

Check this article:

@Troy Tessalone 

All I receive is htm file with the link inside it. Instead of the actual file

what I attach:

what I get:

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@SnoopLion 

The Attachment field should accept file objects or file url (as long as it’s the public direct download link).

thanks @Troy Tessalone  

i can indeed pass the file link. but i can only send that in the body of an email not as a file in the attachment as intended. might be closer now.. do you know if there is a way to send the file while having the url (with public access)

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @SnoopLion 

Good question.

Try sending thru the file links on the webhook to use in the Zap.