Best answer

Putting many api objects into one zap vs one zap per object

• 23 January 2021
  • 7 replies

Is there anyway to have a webhook zap post many objects per zap vs using a zap for each object?

icon

Best answer by Troy Tessalone 2 February 2021, 00:35

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @superlowburn 

Do you mean use the Webhooks app as an Action step in a Zap to interface with an API?

If yes, believe that will be dependent upon the capabilities of the API you are using via the Webhook action step.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@superlowburn That really depends on your API. If it does support multiple items insertion or update then it should be doable. Otherwise, you would need to stick with single element webhooks. Hope this helps.

@superlowburn That really depends on your API. If it does support multiple items insertion or update then it should be doable. Otherwise, you would need to stick with single element webhooks. Hope this helps.

“stick with single element webhooks”

Thanks. I’ll double check the logic on my end.

On the zapier side is there an option for anything other than ‘single element’ webhooks I’d need select to change?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @superlowburn 

The options for single element vs supporting multiple elements in 1 API request are dependent on the API of the app, not Zapier.

I believe I can phrase my question a bit better now…..

My trigger is upon finding new Mentions of a username in Twitter. The twitter mention api call endpoint returns multiple objects:

From postman:

{
"data": [
{
"id": "13558898794801159",
"text": "@username test"
},
{
"id": "1355885235005956",
"text": "@username test"
}
]
}

So if two new mentions are found, and they are the two above…. is the implication that by receiving multiple objects via the trigger, a zap post action will occur for each object?

And further, that a post action is incapable of posting all objects in one post action to the target url?

As you can imagine a mention lookup for new twitter mentions of @incrediblyFamousPerson could generate a lot of post actions eating up a lot of ‘Tasks’ in a zapier plan. :hushed:

Thanks for your help in advance. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @superlowburn 

The API request would have to be configured to handle 1+ results, as it won’t do so dynamically/automatically, again that’s all dependent upon the app’s API specifications, which can vary or have limits or not be able to support batch requests within 1 API call.

Check out Looping by Zapier (recently released) that allows you to loop/iterate thru an array (aka line items or multiple objects returned)

https://zapier.com/apps/looping/integrations

Thanks @Troy Tessalone