Question

How do I know which row will be sent, and how often it triggers in Google Sheet.

• 2 November 2023
  • 4 replies

What it looks like

So I have integrated an API into Zapier that will POST Facebook Ads leads. These Leads will be picked out of a Google Sheet (where they are sorted). My Zap looks like this.

• Facebook Lead Ads (extracting form leads)
  • Google Sheet (Creating rows within an existing Google Sheet) - This sheet automaticly sorts the Leads 
  • The Leads are pulled out of the Google Sheet by Zapier.
    • The information that is extracted is as follows
      • Name
      • Number
      • Company
  • An Zapier Number Formater formates the Phone Number with a country code
  • Webhook by Zapier POST the data to the API 

My problem

The problem arises towards the end of the Zap, mainly where I am supposed to extract the Leads from the Google Sheet. Here I have a few questions about Zapier which I do not find any solution to. 

• How does Zapier know which Row has been sent and not?
  • How often will the Zapier trigger the Google Sheet Lead extraction?
  • The formatting part, to me it looks like it's not possible to format more than one number, is this correct or does Zapier format each number from each row?
  • Is it possible to send more than one row at the time, in this case where to i configure this?

I have tried to understand the trigger of the Google Sheet, but I can’t seem to understand it. I have also put alot of time and effort into the Phone Number formating part, but I can’t seem to understand why it won’t update with a new phone number when it’s presented with one. 

Help would be greatly appriciated, I need to figure this out quickly.
Let me know if more information is needed.

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Enkel_Mark 

Good question.

I’d recommend using Airtable instead of GSheets if you are doing sorting.

Airtable has Views that you can use. (sort, filter, etc.)

Make sure to review the available help articles for using GSheets in Zaps: https://zapier.com/apps/google-sheets/help

Posting screenshots with how your Zap steps are configured will help give us more info.

The Google Sheets trigger on my Zap stopped working

If your Google Sheets trigger stops working suddenly, first check if you’ve accidentally inserted a blank row anywhere in the spreadsheet. Zapier interprets a blank row as the end of the spreadsheet and may have trouble finding any new rows below it.

In addition to this, making the following changes to your spreadsheet while the Zap is turned on can cause errors:

• Deleting existing rows or columns.
  • Adding rows anywhere other than to the bottom of your sheet.
  • Resorting the sheet.
  • Renaming/adding/rearranging columns.
  • Renaming the sheet.
  • Filtering the sheet.

If you need to make any of those changes to your Google Sheet, turn your Zap off while you work on the spreadsheet, and then turn it back on again.

My Zap looks like this. 
Everything is working, I just need to reasure that it will work. Update and send new leads as they come in. I am planing to buy a Zapier paid subscriptions, but currently testing that everything is working.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Enkel_Mark 

The Zap will trigger for NEW rows and ANY UPDATED rows.

If you want it to trigger or UPDATED rows, then you probably want to add a Filter step as indicated in the help articles: https://zapier.com/apps/google-sheets/help

If you only want it to trigger for NEW rows, then change the Zap trigger to

If you want to mark which row has been sent by the Zap, then add another step to UPDATE row, and set a value in a column.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

The New Spreadsheet Row trigger will look for a row to appear at the bottom of the sheet. Sorting will confuse things.