Question

Domain issues when using Zapier's SharePoint API (Beta)

• 2 October 2023
  • 10 replies

Hi, I am glad that Zapier and SharePoint have resolved their differences and there is an integration now. However, it’s pretty limited currently (eg you can’t search for folders), so I was looking at using the in-built API (beta) integration. 

I am having issues as it does not recognize the domain being used. I think most sharepoint domains are something like “//[company].sharepoint.com”, but when I try to use the API (beta), it returns an error of “Domain did not match expected domain filter `[company]`”. I believe it’s looking for a domain of “//[company].com”. To be clear, I can use the pre-built services like “create folder” etc fine, so I know my connection is good. 

Has anyone else had this issue? If what I set out above is the case, that would seem to be a pretty basic Zapier API integration piece? 

If anyone has any work-arounds for any of this, I’d appreciate it, I just want to do some pretty basic stuff like finding folders based on ID, renaming folders, moving folders etc, doesn’t seem like too much of an ask. 

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Gingermatti 

Good question.

Have you tried this Zap action: SharePoint - App Extensions

There is an AI assist to help configure the action.

Thanks Troy, I’m not sure what I would be using the App extension to do differently from the API (Beta)? I set one up anyway, but still getting the same error from it, ‘domain did not match expected domain filter’. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Gingermatti

We would need to see detailed screenshots with how your Zap step is configured along with the encountered error to have more context.

I submitted this last night, but it doesn’t seem to have shown up.

There may be issues in the rest of the step, but as I can't do a call, I can’t test it. The domain is “[company name].sharepoint.com” and the grayed out name in the error message is “[company name]”. In other words, it seems to be expecting the domain to be “[company name].com”.

I had this same issue with DropBox, which has a number of domains for different tasks (eg main domain is dropboxapi.com, but if you want to download a file, the domain is content.dropboxapi.com, go figure). I suspect that Zapier has a whitelist filter of domains / variants that will work with each app’s API (Beta) call and for whatever reason “[company name].sharepoint.com” is not on it.

I’d be interested to hear from Zapier is that is the case, but also from anyone who has had success using the SharePoint API (Beta) action and what their setup was.

I’ve tried to upload a reply with screenshots 3 times, but they never appear. All sensitive info was blanked out so not sure why. I hope I explained the situation well enough in my original post. I suspect that Zapier has certain domains whitelisted for their app API actions, and that https://[my company name].sharepoint.com/ is falling foul of that. I have similar issues with DropBox APIaction in Zapier because certain DropBox end points are on different domains from the main DropBox API.

If anyone from Zapier can chime in, at the least I can stop trying to find a solution. 

Or, if anyone had any luck using the SharePoint API action in Zapier with a SharePoint domain of https://[their company name].sharepoint.com/, any tips on how you how you got it to work would be much appreciated.

I’ve tried to upload a reply with screenshots 3 times, but they never appear. All sensitive info was blanked out so not sure why. I hope I explained the situation well enough in my original post. I suspect that Zapier has certain domains whitelisted for their app API actions, and that https://[my company name].sharepoint.com/ is falling foul of that. I have similar issues with DropBox APIaction in Zapier because certain DropBox end points are on different domains from the main DropBox API.

If anyone from Zapier can chime in, at the least I can stop trying to find a solution. 

Or, if anyone had any luck using the SharePoint API action in Zapier with a SharePoint domain of https://[their company name].sharepoint.com/, any tips on how you how you got it to work would be much appreciated.

Did you manage to solve your issue?  I have hit the same issue.

I did not, I gave up. I use the Graph API in Code by Zapier for anything SharePoint, it seems to works pretty well. Good luck!

I did not, I gave up. I use the Graph API in Code by Zapier for anything SharePoint, it seems to works pretty well. Good luck!

Thanks I will give it a go.

Hi, I am glad that Zapier and SharePoint have resolved their differences and there is an integration now. However, it’s pretty limited currently (eg you can’t search for folders), so I was looking at using the in-built API (beta) integration. 

I am having issues as it does not recognize the domain being used. I think most sharepoint domains are something like “//[company].sharepoint.com”, but when I try to use the API (beta), it returns an error of “Domain did not match expected domain filter `[company]`”. I believe it’s looking for a domain of “//[laptopspapa].com”. To be clear, I can use the pre-built services like “create folder” etc fine, so I know my connection is good. 

Has anyone else had this issue? If what I set out above is the case, that would seem to be a pretty basic Zapier API integration piece? 

If anyone has any work-arounds for any of this, I’d appreciate it, I just want to do some pretty basic stuff like finding folders based on ID, renaming folders, moving folders etc, doesn’t seem like too much of an ask. 

I've run into a bit of a snag with the Zapier API integration for SharePoint, and I'm hoping someone can shed some light on it. Although I'm delighted that Zapier and SharePoint have resolved their differences, the current integration has its limitations, particularly when it comes to functionalities like searching for folders.

I am having issues as it does not recognize the domain being used. I think most sharepoint domains are something like “//[company].sharepoint.com”, but when I try to use the API (beta), it returns an error of “Domain did not match expected domain filter `[company]`”. I believe it’s looking for a shared office in Sydney domain of “//[company].com”. To be clear, I can use the pre-built services like “create folder” etc fine, so I know my connection is good. 

The error message indicates that it's expecting a different domain format. While pre-built services like "create folder" work fine, this discrepancy suggests a potential oversight in the API integration. It would be beneficial to check with other users if they've encountered similar issues. In the meantime, workarounds might involve exploring alternative API endpoints or custom scripting to achieve the desired folder management tasks.