Best answer

Dehydrate an MP3 Call Recording

• 11 December 2023
  • 5 replies

Hey y’all,

I need to get a Vonage call recording passed into Google Drive for a client so they can link directly to it from their CRM.

I was following this tutorial on using a GET to dehydrate a file. However, it looks like this only works for txt or csv types.

When testing the Vonage call recording trigger, I get a hydrated file just fine:

The test works just fine to pull a recent call recording.

But then, when putting that file as the GET URL and running a test, it just spits back the original file:

Not sure what that did, if anything

We know the file is an .mp3, so can someone help me figure out how to rehydrate this into a proper .mp3 that we can push somewhere else?

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by Troy Tessalone 11 December 2023, 23:28

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @voyicks 

Good question.

Did you try to use the hydrated file from step 1?

Can you post screenshots of the file field where you are trying to send the file in the Zap action step?

Appreciate it Troy!

Your tutorial seems pretty straight forward. I’m sending the file from Step 1 to the URL for the GET with no other options.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@voyicks 

But how are you trying to use the file in other Zap action steps? (e.g. Keap)

Doh! I misunderstood >_<

I haven’t gotten that far, been stuck on unpacking this file but I can see how I needed to add more from here...

The client needs to be able to quickly and easily listen to call recordings from their CRM (Keap) without having to log into Vonage every time.

Originally, I thought I could simply push in a CRM note with a link directly to the recording URL. Unfortunately, I can’t use the direct recording URL provided by the Vonage trigger, as that still requires an authentication token which will likely change over time, making older notes useless.

My thought was to push the hydrated .mp3 into Google Drive, and then I could push the link to that file into a note in Keap.

So...just now, I went to create a file from text in Google drive using the GET-ed file from Step 2.

This did spit out a .txt file with a URL in it. And upon going to that url it downloaded a file with not extension. After manually appending the .mp3 extension, it IS the voicemail recording.

So, I think I’m more than halfway there because now, I can at least manually generate an mp3 file.

Please forgive my ignorance, but from here how can the Zap:

• Go to the URL in the generated txt doc.
  • Download the extension-less file.
  • Append .mp3 to it.
  • Re-upload to Gdrive.

There is probably a completely different and better way to do it, but I’m hitting the limit of my technical abilities here. Any further advice to help me on this quest would be much appreciated :)

Figured it out!

I was definitely taking the long route >_<

The trick here was to use the Google Drive > Upload File in Google Drive using the original hydrated file coming out of the Vonage trigger in Step 1.

As long as I included the mp3 extension with the file content, it spit out an mp3 as expected :)

From there, I can push the Google Drive link into a CRM note that they can access without having to log into Vonage 🙌

Thanks for leading me to this solution Troy :)