Question

Date formatting in first step of webhook

• 10 June 2022
  • 7 replies

I need the current date and the date for 7 days ago in the first step of a webhook to insert into my call (no time, just formatted MM/DD/YYYY).  I figured that I could do create a first step and use the formatter in the first step based on {{zap_meta_human_now}}, but Zapier wont let me create a first step with the formatter.  What’s the best way to handle this?

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey there, @techman123! Great question and welcome to the Community! 🎉
I wonder if this similar question might be helpful:

Eager to hear what the Community is able to surface for ya! 🤗

Thank you.  After going back and forth with support, we it was determined that it is not possible to manipulate a date to be used in a webhook call unless it is custom coded, primarily, since the formatter cannot be used as a first step preceding a webhook.  A feature request has been made, because it would only make sense, since maybe your web hook needs a custom formatted date.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@techman123 

Can you further describe the workflow you are trying to automate?

What apps are involved?

I am pulling transactions from one system’s reporting API (using Cake Marketing) via a webhook, and I am posting that data to another reporting system.  Within the webhook, there are required fields “start_date” and “end date”.  The start date should be yesterday’s date or the day before, and the end date today or possibly tomorrow. I would use the formatter, but it doesn’t seem like you can create a step 1 with formatter that would go before the step 2 with a webhook.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@techman123

Try these Zap steps…

1. Trigger: Schedule - Daily
  2. Action: Formatter > Date / Time > Format
  3. Action: Webhook - GET Request
    1. CAKE
  4. Action: Webhook - POST Request
Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hiya @techman123! Thanks so much for clarifying your workflow and keeping us in the loop on your progress with support!

I wanted to double check if Troy’s latest recommended steps helped? Keep us posted! 🙂

@techman123

Try these Zap steps…

1. Trigger: Schedule - Daily
  2. Action: Formatter > Date / Time > Format
  3. Action: Webhook - GET Request
    1. CAKE
  4. Action: Webhook - POST Request

I am attempting to setup a test, but since this method uses a “Webook - Get”, instead of a “Retrieve Poll”, I do not see a way to choose a “Deduplication Key”.  Without deduplication, wouldn’t STEP 4 fire for every record in the GET request, every time it is run?  I only want to send new records.