Question

Google Ads error: User lacks permission to access customer. Confirm Zapier as data partner by setting up your Zap.

• 20 September 2023
  • 13 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

I am trying to use the Google Ads connection to pull reports into a google sheet for clients to view. I currently have it set up with a scheduler. My issue is that when I click test step, it throws the error ‘Failed to create a report in Google Ads User doesn't have permission to access customer. Please go back to the 'Set up' step of your Zap to confirm you've approved Zapier as a data partner’. However I know I have Zapier linked in my Google Ads account as shown in the screenshot. What else am I doing wrong that is limiting my ability to use this tool? Please ask clarifying questions if necessary. Thanks! 

Screenshot of zap and error in zapier
​​​
screenshot of zapier being linked in google ads

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @speculo,

Before we dive deeper, could you please check that you have the correct permissions level on the user login used to connect to the app.
https://support.google.com/google-ads/answer/9978556?hl=en-GB&ref_topic=3121776

After that, please reconnect your Google Ads account here: https://zapier.com/app/connections/google-ads

Please keep us posted! 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @ken.a,

Thanks for connecting on this. The user login use to connect to the app has administrative permissions. Furthermore, I deleted and reconnected the google ads account. Still receive the same issues. What are the next steps we can take? 

Thanks!

Userlevel 1
Badge

Apologies, evidently I got this error when trying to log in again. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @speculo,

Thanks for the update!

It sounds like it might be best to have our Support Team take a closer look at this for you. They have all the right tools to delve deep into your Zap and its logs to figure out what's going on.

You can get in touch with them right here: https://zapier.com/app/get-help

I'm really sorry I can't do more on this one, my troubleshooting tools are a bit limited. Our Support Team will do their utmost to help you out.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@ken.a all good thank you for the guidance.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @speculo,

It looks like our Support Team provided a suggestion, and I’ll be sharing the suggestion on this thread so that our other awesome Community members who might run into this similar issue can find this helpful:

I see what you mean about your Google Ads connection. I did some digging in our logs and found the full error message Google is returning: 

"errors": [{
"errorCode": {
"authorizationError": "CUSTOMER_NOT_ENABLED"
},
"message": "The customer account can't be accessed because it is not yet enabled or has been deactivated."
}],
"requestId": "1XOVU6IuEbs4xbILtTzWWA"
}]
}
}]

Digging through Google Ads API, I can see that this error means the connected account can't be accessed because it's not in an enabled state. This could be because the customer account hasn't finished signup or it has been deactivated. 

Google Ads API Docs
8c7e963bc09755a870aecbda4ddbff5e.png
(view larger)

I also found a Google community forum where a member of the Google Ads API Team mentions this error can also happen when your account is in a draft state. API calls can't be made when an account is in a draft state. 

CUSTOMER_NOT_ENABLED Google community form

49113946b8b13f476a663bda0d035aba.png
(view larger)

I hope that provides some clarity. Please don't hesitate to reach back out if you have any other questions. I'm here to help!

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @ken.a 

Thanks for the help thus far! Sorry it has been a while. I have confirmed that the accounts I was testing with are neither in a draft state nor disabled or deactivated. With that said, the bug persists. What else can we try?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @speculo,

I apologize, but my troubleshooting tools are a bit limited here. I checked your ticket with our Support Team and it looks like they suggested you to reach out to Google Ads support regarding this issue to verify your managed accounts can use Google Ads API.

Our Support Team sent you the error log via email. It would be helpful if you also send that to the Google Ads Support Team.

Thanks!

Userlevel 1
Badge

This post has been edited by a moderator to remove personal information. Please remember that this is a public forum and to remove any sensitive information prior to posting.

Hey @ken.a 

We did not receive the error logs. Could you resend it to xxxx@xxxxxxx.com?

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @speculo,

I’ll be DM’ing you the logs that our Support Team shared to you previously. Please check your Private Message.

Thanks! 😊

Userlevel 1

@speculo did you ever find a resolution for this? I’m having the same exact issue :(

Userlevel 1

Found the magic link!

This is how you authorize Zapier to be a Data Manager on the account:

https://ads.google.com/aw/productlinks/zapier?ref=zapier

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thanks so much for sharing that helpful link here, @snoutsnstouts - it’s most appreciated! 🤗

Sounds like you’re all set for now but please do reach out in the Community again if we can assist with anything. In the meantime, happy Zapping! ⚡