Question

Zap issue: Incomplete task & notification delay in 70-Step workflow

• 16 August 2023
  • 20 replies

I have a zap that’s 70 tasks long. It on average takes 5 minutes to complete, which is great compared to how long it took the person to complete it before. 

There is one task within it that occasionally doesn’t complete the first time it runs, and adding a delay doesn’t resolve it. It generally has been resolving just by running again. Not sure the issue, and it really doesn’t matter, because it completes. 

The issue is related to the potential delay and receiving notification when the zap completes. How can I get notified at the completion of a zap. 

20 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @bjwim71 

Good question.

How are you trying to get notified? (email, SMS, slack, etc.)

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @bjwim71,

If it usually resolves by replaying the zap, you may want to consider turning on Autoplay if you have a Professional plan or above.

https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8496241726989-Replay-failed-Zap-runs#enable-autoreplay-for-an-individual-zap-0-3

Hope this helps!

it resolves no problem. I just want to get notified when it completes

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@bjwim71 

How are you trying to get notified? (email, SMS, slack, etc.)

it’s a zap called blink. id’ settle with email but the preferred one is blink

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@bjwim71 

Try adding another Zap action step at the end: Blink - Post to Feed

zaps will complete even if previous zaps need to re run. So it would post complete even if it’s not

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@bjwim71 

Try this…

Before the Blink step at the end, add a Filter step that has conditions which are dependent on output from the Zap step that has errors/issues.

That will prevent the Filter step from completing until the previous Zap step is run successfully.

there’s 70 tasks. Any of which could error. Generally it’s one of 15… but not always

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@bjwim71 

You may want to first resolve the Zap step issues to prevent the errors altogether.

Same concept as before you can add multiple Filter conditions (AND) to check that the previous Zap steps completed successfully.

There’s no actual issue. It creates a file/moves a file/looks up a file etc. Sometimes it does it quickly. Sometimes it doesn’t, so I can either put a 10 minute delay every time it runs and hope it only takes 10 minutes, also losing time every time it runs when it doesn’t take 10 minutes. The prob. is there’s no verification of completion. The next task run when the file is created, but it runs without it (failing until it’s complete…. 1 minute/20 minutes later) The only way to prevent the error is to allow ALWAYS a significant amount of time for it to complete which kind of defeats the point. All I'm looking to do is verify completion so we can move on to the next task. Whether it takes 1 minute or 3 hours, we just need to know it’s done. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@bjwim71

We have no true context about how your Zap is configured. (order of steps, apps involved, encountered errors, etc.)

This is a solution to try:

Same concept as before you can add multiple Filter conditions (AND) to check that the previous Zap steps completed successfully.

each filter is a task. There’s already 70 tasks, which would push it to 140 tasks. Unless I go pro and add 10000 tasks per month, there’s no way I'd sit under my task allotment for the month. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@bjwim71 

The suggested solution is to add 1 Filter at the end before the Blink step with multiple AND conditions that checks previous Zap steps were successful.

adding 70 conditionals doesn’t seem like a good use of time. Zap has a successful check. when you look at run zaps. There needs to be a way to connect to that. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@bjwim71

You previously said:

Generally it’s one of 15… but not always

Why not add 15 AND conditions to the Filter step?

There is no global variable to use for “all previous Zap steps were successful”.

because it’s not always 1 of 15. occasionally working is not a solution. which is why I'm reaching out to the community to find an alternate solution. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@bjwim71

Well I offered a solution with the Filter and multiple AND conditions. (whether that’s 1 or 70)

You can implement and get your issue resolved.

Or you can wait to see if someone else has an idea.

I don’t know why you’re being rude about it. That’s weird dude. 

Just explaining why I need a more efficient solution. I’m not gonna just pretend it’s gonna work for me and move on. 

You offered a solution I already had….. which is why I posted here in the first place, because I have to make like 20 of these things, and doing 20 zaps with hundreds of tasks is no more efficient then just manually doing the process…. Just to get a simple notification that could/should be a standard task (when it’s complete… get notified)

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@bjwim71 

The offered solution is to add 1 Filter step with multiple AND conditions (at the end before the notification step via Blink), instead of 1 Filter per Zap step.

EXAMPLE of 1 Filter with multiple AND conditions.

What you are seeking is a conditional check that a Zap has “completed”.

Your definition of “completed” is that the Zap has reached a certain point with all previous Zap steps run successfully.

In your case, that check would include 70 conditions that the previous 70 steps ran successfully.

There are complexities with determining when a Zap “completed”.

Zaps can have Filters/Paths.

Zaps can run down 0+ Paths.

e.g. Is the Zap “completed” when it ran Path A, Path B, Paths A + B?

That means it’s possible for a Zap to “complete” (be filtered out), but yet not all the Zap steps would have run.

I wish there is a more efficient solution, but I’m not aware of one given the limited context we have about how your Zap steps are configured (no screenshots provided), as there could be different ways to optimize and/or design your Zap.

If you’d like, feedback and feature requests can be submitted via a ticket to Zapier Support to be logged: https://zapier.com/app/get-help