Hi all, 3 days ago I started getting this “Error while retrieving: 'NoneType' object is not subscriptable” on my Shopify App with the New Customer event trigger. Has anyone experienced this? Is there a way to get more logs?
Best answer by SamBView original
@Curated Culture! 🙂
I’ve added you to the list as well so we’ll be in touch as soon as it’s sorted. If you’re able to get email notifications sent to you whenever a new order is paid, then it may be worth trying the workaround I mentioned in my last reply and have a Zap trigger from those email notifications for now instead.
We are having this problem too, but it only stopped pulling data from shopify 12 hours ago unlike others who mentioned it’s been going on for days. Can you add us to the list?
Please add me to the list
we are currently getting the following error for the triggers on Shopify to Google Sheets
Failed to fetch an order from Shopify
Error while retrieving: 'NoneType' object is not subscriptable
Can you add me to the list as well please
We have the same problem. Please add us to the list.
This is also affecting our store. Please add us to the list. Just started for us on the 16th of may
Same issue, please notify us when this is fixed. It is very urgent for us.
Thanks for reaching out here
@najmwah, @Selleton Scales, @eduardo s, @gfc-automations, @Peregrin Workwear, @professionalbotanicals, @ddmagill, @thudso3 and @zank! 👋
I can’t give any estimates as to when this is going to be fixed by but you’re all on the list of affected users so we’ll definitely notify you as soon as it is. I really hope it will be sorted soon, I know how frustrating this issue must be for everyone here.
I’ll be in touch if I have any news or other workarounds to share. In the meantime, the workaround I mentioned previously (triggering from order notification emails instead) might be your best bet for now.
I have experienced the same issue. I thought that after reconnecting my shopify accounts and re-running that I had resolved it. Unfortunately not all data was being processed on the order object, specifically order.customer.orders_count; zapier’s interface does not include all of the information I would expect, and which was relied on before this bug emerged.
Sorry to hear that those order emails don’t have all the desired information
Thanks for letting us know,
You may have seen the email notification already but if not, I’m happy to confirm that this issue has now been resolved. 😁🎉
Thank you all for your patience while this issue was being worked on. Those errors should no longer be occurring but if for some reason you’re still seeing them please do reach out.
In the meantime, happy Zapping! ⚡