Question

Reddit error: Unable to pull post, "message":"That subreddit does not appear to exist."}

Hello community,
I would like to create a Zap and query several subreddits for new hot posts.

Now I'm at the "Trigger" field and want to add more than one subreddit there. I want to query r/mtg, r/PokemonTCG, r/yugioh.

My input in the field was:
mtg, PokemonTCG, yugioh

Now I get the error:
" Unable to pull posts
Please reload the page. If the issue persists, troubleshoot errors or contact Support.
Error code: Error while retrieving: The app returned `{"message":"That subreddit does not appear to exist."} What happened: Executing triggers.hot.operation.perform with bundle {"message":"That subreddit does not appear to exist."} Console logs: ` as error, which we cannot read."

Is my project even possible with the free subscription? Is it generally possible?

Thanks in advance for your reply!

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @GI_HannesZ 

To help us have full context, post screenshots with how your Zap step is configured.

Help article from Reddit about searching.

https://support.reddithelp.com/hc/en-us/articles/19696541895316-Available-search-features

Hello,
thank you very much for the feedback.
First of all, the starting point with just one subreddit (works): 

However, now I would like to try more than one subreddit.
My first idea was to simply chain several “New Hot Post in Subreddit in Reddit” together. The problem here, however, is that I can only activate this option “New Hot Post in Subreddit in Reddit” for the first one.
My second idea was to write several in the Trigger > Subreddit field. To do this, I tried using a comma and a semicolon.
however, I can't seem to add more than one subreddit there. Or is there an option there? If so, what syntax do I have to use for this?Best regardsHannes
Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@GI_HannesZ 

Did you review the help articles?

Help article from Reddit about searching.

https://support.reddithelp.com/hc/en-us/articles/19696541895316-Available-search-features

subreddit The submission's subreddit.
For example, subreddit:cats

Boolean operators and grouping

You can specify whether you want your search terms to be inclusive or not.

• Reddit search supports the boolean operators AND, OR, and NOT (case sensitive).
  • Using AND between words requires all of the connected words to be in the search results.
    E.g. Searching ‘cats AND dogs’ will return only results that have the word “cats” AND the word “dogs” in the results. ‘cats AND dogs AND toys’ returns results with all 3 words.
  • Using OR between words only requires SOME words to match.
    E.g. Searching ‘cats OR dogs’ will return results that either have the word 'cats' OR the word 'dogs' in them.
  • Using NOT between words requires certain words NOT to match.
    E.g. Searching ‘cats NOT dogs’ will return results that have the word “cats,” but NOT results that have the word “dogs”
  • Using parentheses ( ) groups parts of a search together.
  • You might sometimes get unexpected results if you’re using multiple boolean operators. You can force a specific behavior using (). For example, hedgehog NOT sonic OR shadow returns very different results than hedgehog NOT (sonic OR shadow)

Hello @Troy Tessalone,i'm not sure if you understood me correctly. It's probably because of my description. Sorry in advance for my lacking English skills - I'm not a native speaker.I'll try to describe my problem again in different words. Basically, I want to ask, if I can query several subreddits (r/mtg, r/yugioh, r/pokemon) or just one?  Is it possible to query serveral subreddits when looking if there has been a “New Hot Post”. Can I do this in just one Zap, or do I need serveral? This is specifically about the “Trigger” field. How can I ensure that I can enter the subreddits r/mtg, r/yugioh, r/pokemon there and that it still works?

I read the article you shared but I´m not sure if that was the solution to my question?

Or do you mean in the Field “Subreddit” the solution is: “mtg OR pokemon OR yugioh” => result: if there was a New Hot Post in Subreddit mtg or yugioh or pokemon?

​​​​​​

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@GI_HannesZ 

Try using these...

For example, subreddit:cats

• Using OR between words only requires SOME words to match.
    E.g. Searching ‘cats OR dogs’ will return results that either have the word 'cats' OR the word 'dogs' in them.

Hi, 

thanks for your reply. 

Unfortunately it doesn't work somehow.The subreddits exist. However, when I link the subreddits "OR" I get the error. Is there a way to add more than one subreddit in the Trigger field?I use the free Zapier subscription, maybe that is the problem.Thank you very much for your previous answers and your efforts to help me :D 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@GI_HannesZ 

Did you try specifying each subreddit in the indicated format?

Example: subreddit:cats

Yes, I had already tried that, but I got the same problem here.

Thank you for your patience with me

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @GI_HannesZ,

I’m jumping in to see if I can help!

I believe you can only search for 1 subreddit at a time. Have you tried only typing one subreddit on the “Subreddit” field? Like so:

ed6460c97df561908c6bba91696722ec.png
(view larger)

0b3705183809ba367faa2347237e60ee.png
(view larger)

If you’d like to monitor multiple subreddits I’d recommend creating a Zap for each subreddits.

Hopefully, this helps!

My last reply was/is not displayed. I don't know if you have the same problem, so here it is again:

Hi @ken.a ,
Thank you very much for your answer, that helps me a lot.
Basically that was the solution to my problem. I have several subreddits that I would like to check out. In this regard, I wanted to try to do this via one Zap and not several. But it seems like i can´t do this. 

Your answer helped me a lot.

However, now I have a following up question.

I want to check the title to see if it contains the word "Keyword".
What is the correct procedure for this and what is the difference between the two following images?

I wish you a nice day

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@GI_HannesZ 

This would be correct with a static value on the right side.

If you need to filter for multiple keywords, then use OR conditions.