Best answer

Keap error: The app returned "If you're the owner of this account,.".

Userlevel 1
Badge

In the now sunsetted Keap Max Classic zaps, we could apply a tag in an Action step by using the output (text field) of a previous step (and even adding additional text afterward). See below for an example. We have dozens of Zaps that do this for our clients.

In the new Keap Zap, this option is no longer named Tag Names. It is named Tag IDs. I can apply the same logic and use an output of a previous step to apply a tag to a contact in Keap, as per below.

However, an error occurs. It seems to be because I have not selected a specific Tag in the dropdown list of tags, nor entered a Tag ID. I am trying to apply a TAG NAME (which definitely does exist in the Keap App).

Is this a functionality gap? We cannot type in the name of a Tag or use some text from a previous step to apply a tag? This is critical for us and our clients as there are simply too many tags and combinations to manage by manually selecting specific tags in this action step. 

Perhaps there is a way to use Formatting / Utilities in a previous step, but I have tried that too. No luck. 

Please advise. It seems this is a gap compared to the previous Keap Max Classic Zap which is no longer available.

icon

Best answer by Troy Tessalone 10 May 2024, 05:25

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Wrkplace Digital 

Can you post more screenshots in Zap EDIT mode for the step so we can see the full field input and field descriptions which will allow us to determine the field type. (e.g. dropdown list)

If the field is a dropdown list, then reference this help article for expected values: https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8496241696141-Add-custom-values-to-dropdown-menu-fields-in-Zaps

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @Troy Tessalone. Thanks for your reply, apologies for slow response.

Here is the output from a simple trigger in Airtable. There is a text field “Horse For Automation” in the data extracted from Airtable.

We then add this into the Custom field for TAGS when Creating/Updating a Keap contact.

We have dozens of Keap Max Classic Zaps (now sunsetted) for clients which do this exact action...take output from a previous trigger step and appy a Tag to a contact in Keap (dynamically - not selecting a specific Tag manually). 

But when testing the updated Keap Zap, we cannot get it to work the same way. Receive this error.

This error does not occur when I do not try to apply the tag to the Keap contact like this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Wrkplace Digital

Can you post a screenshots of the Tag IDs dropdown list of options? (just need to see a few)

As well as the Tag IDs field description in the Zap step. (not shown in your screenshot as it’s covered by the list of variables)

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @Troy Tessalone.

Here is the dropdown list of TAGS in the Keap Create/Update Contact action step.

You can also see that the tag “Justify / My Dinah Lee ‘22 ENQUIRED” does exist. The Zap works fine if I select that tag from the dropdown.

But I need to dynamically apply that tag using CUSTOM outputs from a previous step (and appending “ENQUIRED” to the end of that data field). That’s when the error occurs.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Wrkplace Digital 

Help article to follow for using dynamic values in dropdown lists:
https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8496241696141-Add-custom-values-to-dropdown-menu-fields-in-Zaps

e.g. The dropdown option with label “Test Horse Enquired” has an internal value of ‘128’.

The dropdown fields expects the internal value to be passed.

You may need to use a lookup table to translate the values form the friendly label to the internal id.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks for looking into this with me, @Troy Tessalone. The problem is that I cannot manually manage a Lookup table with hundreds of lookup values for each of our clients. Tags are added/updated constantly (each Keap account may have dozens of tags that need to be dynamically applied using these Zaps I have built). S

The application of the TAG in Keap must be dynamic based on the text output from the previous step. This enables full automation.

If the internal value of the Tag (Tag ID) must be passed ,that’s a fundamental change / loss of feature compared to the previous Keap Max Classic Zap. 

Here is an example from one of the many Zaps currently in use (Keap Max Classic zaps). It works fine because the TAG NAME can be passed to the ‘Apply a Tag’ action.

There does not seem to be any function to lookup the Tag ID of a Tag Name in Keap either. And as mentioned, there is no way I can manually maintain a Lookup Tag for all these tags. It would defeat the purpose of automation.

Please help 🤞. Or should this be directed to Keap?

If this is not possible I will have to definitely move to an alternate automation platform.

Andrew

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Wrkplace Digital 

You can try using this Zap action: Keap - Tag Contact

I still think that Zap action will require using the Tag IDs based on the Keap API docs. (see screenshots)

Zap apps (and same for other automation platforms) are built on top of an app’s APIs, so the requirements are dictated by the app’s API.

You can try reaching out to Keap Support for possible guidance.

You may have to explore using the Keap API to make the automation dynamic.

https://developer.infusionsoft.com/docs/restv2/#tag/Tags/operation/listTagsUsingGET_1

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Wrkplace Digital 

There is this Zap trigger: Keap - New Contact Tag

You could use that to send new Tags to a lookup table (e.g. Airtable, GSheets) for reference in other Zaps.

You’d have to export the existing Tags to be able to get the list of Keap Tags current in the lookup table.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks @Troy Tessalone . That’s an excellent idea to constantly maintain an external table of Tags and Tag IDs. A work around, but that will work 😀. I’ll contact Keap regarding the loss of functionality in the new Keap Zap and underlying API. 

I appreciate your help and suggestion.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi again @Troy Tessalone. I’ve encountered another major issue for me and my new KEAP Zaps.

Please let me know if this should be directed to Keap, though. I am not sure who is responsible for these Zaps.

In the now sunsetted Keap Max Classic Zap, we could trigger a Zap when any one of numerous Tags were applied in Keap. I simply add to the list of tags to trigger this Zap whenever any tag is applied.

In the new Keap Zap, we can only use 1 Tag as a trigger? Not multiple tags?

The same limitation exists on the New Tag Event trigger.

Of course, I could create the Zap and duplicate for every tag I wish to trigger a Zap for. But then I will have to maintain hundreds of Zaps.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi again @Troy Tessalone. I’ve encountered another major issue for me and my new KEAP Zaps.

Please let me know if this should be directed to Keap, though. I am not sure who is responsible for these Zaps.

In the now sunsetted Keap Max Classic Zap, we could trigger a Zap when any one of numerous Tags were applied in Keap. I simply add to the list of tags to trigger this Zap whenever any tag is applied.

In the new Keap Zap, we can only use 1 Tag as a trigger? Not multiple tags?

The same limitation exists on the New Tag Event trigger.

Of course, I could create the Zap and duplicate for every tag I wish to trigger a Zap for. But then I will have to maintain hundreds of Zaps.

I have worked around this now too, FYI. Now allow the trigger to occur whenever ANY tag is applied, and then using filters to only trigger subsequent action steps if certain tags are applied.