Question

Not enough tokens available to send the assistant message and the user message.

I keep running into this error - that I don’t have enough tokens in GPT to run the Zap. 

The Zap itself is running GPT-4, with a max token setting of 800.

Here are my usage stats & account limits in GPT: 

Help! Thanks so much :)

18 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @CharlieHoehn 

To help us have more context, post screenshots about which ChatGPT Zap app action you are using and how it is configured.

Help articles for using ChatGPT in Zaps: https://zapier.com/apps/chatgpt/help

Hey @Troy Tessalone, thanks for the reply. 

Here are some screenshots of the Zap:

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@CharlieHoehn 

Have you tried adjusting the Max Tokens value?

@Troy Tessalone I have, but I actually lowered it to 800. What amount do you suggest?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@CharlieHoehn 

Please clarify as It’s unclear which specific ChatGPT action you are using since it’s not shown in the screenshots and the Zap step labels have been renamed.
https://zapier.com/apps/chatgpt/integrations#triggers-and-actions

One possible interpretation of this is that 800 tokens is not enough to send the assistant message and the user message, meaning the Max Tokens would need to be raised.

All of these steps are ‘Chat GPT - Conversation’

I lowered the Token amount from 4,000 to 800 and it was the same result for both.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@CharlieHoehn 

Check the field description for guidance.

Otherwise, you may need to meet the OpenAI criteria to increase your limits.

@Troy Tessalone I did check that for guidance, and I’ve tried 4000 tokens max and 800 max. So far, nothing.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@CharlieHoehn 

It may be related to you needing to increase your limits with the OpenAI API by meeting the 2 listed criteria requirements.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@CharlieHoehn 

Do you have a ChatGPT+ paid plan?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@CharlieHoehn 

Wonder if this is related to new OpenAI prepaid billing changes for API use: https://help.openai.com/en/articles/8264644-what-is-prepaid-billing

@Troy Tessalone Yep, definitely have a paid plan. And I’m set up with pre-paid billing!

I’m in Tier 4, which has the same gpt-4 token limitations as Tier 5, so it doesn’t seem like that would change anything.

I requested a limit increase but got rejected.

Any other ideas?

Really dumbfounded by this problem. Oy.

I’m just now seeing this. Could this be the issue?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@CharlieHoehn 

Unlikely, that is just shown as truncated in the Zap logs to reduce the size of the data, meaning the Zap would have used the full data provided.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@CharlieHoehn 

Try reaching out to OpenAI Support for guidance about the error message from their API and how to handle.

@Troy Tessalone The transcript length DOES appear to be the problem (which was 45K characters). When I submitted a shorter transcript (11K characters), the entire zap worked!

And I did reach out to OpenAI, they were not helpful unfortunately!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@CharlieHoehn 

Check out this Zap Formatter action that may help: