Best answer

New Saved Message Slack trigger does not work anymore after Slack update

Userlevel 1

Slack recently updated their save element feature, apparently this broke the trigger, ad it does not work anymore.

I was using it in a zap where each time a user saved a message from slack, the zap copied it in a trello board, it worked just fine until slack updated their feature.

Any idea on how to fix it?

icon

Best answer by SamB 15 May 2023, 11:03

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

69 replies

@alexisgok, so just to clarify with this new action, you have to click the three dots button in Slack, select “Push to Zapier”, choose the option to select the zapier zap from the dropdown and click Push?

Damn, so many steps now. :/

I do like that you can add in additional notes though

Userlevel 1
Badge

For people who are hitting this issue, if you can use “New Pushed Message” instead, that trigger still works since it’s on-demand.

It’ll require you to remap fields in the action, since the structure of the data is a little different. In my case I had to switch over to fields under Message - Message Ts Time (timestamp), Message User Name (username), Message Text (text - this is probably the most commonly needed).

Zapier just emailed me with this option below. This isn’t a great alternative since it would only apply to the one Slack channel you specify. I’ll stick with the push option.

-------------------

We are writing to inform you of an important update regarding the Slack integration that you have been using. Recently, Slack has made a change to their API that affects the "New Message Saved" trigger in our integration. As a result, this trigger has stopped working. Our team is actively working with Slack to introduce a new, permanent solution.

We understand that this may have caused inconvenience to your workflow, and we want to ensure that you are aware of the issue and offer you an interim solution. We've identified a workaround for this issue, which involves using the "New Reaction Added" trigger and filtering it by a specific Slack user as shown here:

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thank you for sharing this, @petethezapper! Beat me to it. 🔥

As the email mentioned, our team is in touch with Slack and we’ll be sure to keep ya’ll updated with any news.

I know it’s not ideal but we absolutely appreciate ya’ll bearing with us. 🙏🏽

Userlevel 1

@petethezapper just an fyi that if you leave the `channel` filed blank when creating a reaction based Slack message it will work for any channel in your Slack instance.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@petethezapper just an fyi that if you leave the `channel` filed blank when creating a reaction based Slack message it will work for any channel in your Slack instance.

OOohh, this is perfect!  It works with any channel if I leave that blank, however if I leave User blank, it doesn’t seem to work at all for reactions to DM’s.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thank you for sharing this, @petethezapper! Beat me to it. 🔥

As the email mentioned, our team is in touch with Slack and we’ll be sure to keep ya’ll updated with any news.

OK, so I was all about this option and I even created a custom Todoist icon emoji. But the problem is that if any other Slack user also uses this reaction, then it’s gonna trigger this Zap, correct?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thank you for sharing this, @petethezapper! Beat me to it. 🔥

OK, so I was all about this option and I even created a custom Todoist icon emoji. But the problem is that if any other Slack user also uses this reaction, then it’s gonna trigger this Zap, correct?

Yup, confirmed, it’s when anyone uses the reaction. Not going to work for me.

Hey @christina.d - please add me to the bug report too. Looking forward to this getting sorted out. Thanks! 

Please add me to the bug report too.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi friends! 👋

@radmartin and @Grzegorz, I’m happy to confirm that I’ve added you both to the list of affected users. We’ll be sure to contact all affected folks by email the minute it gets fixed.

@petethezapper and @everything_is_fine, on that workaround of using the New Reaction Added trigger, instead of filtering the user on the trigger, perhaps you could add a Filter by Zapier action to the Zap to handle the filtering?

That way the Zap would still to trigger for all reactions added but would only allow the Zap to continue if the User Id field (Text) Contains a specific Slack user ID. More information on how to set up filter rules can be found here: Customize your filter rules 

Hope that helps in the meantime! 🙂

Userlevel 1
Badge

and @everything_is_fine, on that workaround of using the New Reaction Added trigger, instead of filtering the user on the trigger, perhaps you could add a Filter by Zapier action to the Zap to handle the filtering?

That way the Zap would still to trigger for all reactions added but would only allow the Zap to continue if the User Id field (Text) Contains a specific Slack user ID. More information on how to set up filter rules can be found here: Customize your filter rules 

Hope that helps in the meantime! 🙂

Thanks @SamB This would work, however I am on the free plan, so I cannot do multi-step Zaps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Ah, I’m so sorry using a separate filter isn’t going to work for you here, @petethezapper. There aren’t any other potential workarounds I can suggest at the minute, but should we come across any in the meantime we’ll share details of them here.

Really appreciate everyone’s patience here while this is being worked on. Hopefully it’ll be resolved soon! 🤞 

Userlevel 1

Hi there - I’m experiencing this issue too, the New Saved Message in Slack was one of my most used triggers so I’m feeling the pain of it being broken. Could you add me to the list so I can be notified as soon as this is fixed? Thank you!

Userlevel 1

I received an email today saying that the issue was fixed: 

You're receiving this notification because you showed interest in a reported issue with our Slack integration. The issue was related to the “New Saved Message” trigger not working in certain cases. We wanted to let you know we worked with our partners at Slack and this trigger should now be working as expected.

There’s no specific action you need to take, but if there were some Zaps you were holding off on making because of this problem, now you can!

Don’t hesitate to get in touch if things aren’t working like you expect, or if you run into any other issues. We’re always here and happy to help! Have a great day!

- Alejandro

But it is still broken. Can you confirm this is fixed, @SamB ?

I received an email today saying that the issue was fixed: 

You're receiving this notification because you showed interest in a reported issue with our Slack integration. The issue was related to the “New Saved Message” trigger not working in certain cases. We wanted to let you know we worked with our partners at Slack and this trigger should now be working as expected.

There’s no specific action you need to take, but if there were some Zaps you were holding off on making because of this problem, now you can!

Don’t hesitate to get in touch if things aren’t working like you expect, or if you run into any other issues. We’re always here and happy to help! Have a great day!

- Alejandro

But it is still broken. Can you confirm this is fixed, @SamB ?

I don’t think it has. Currently not working for me. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Yikes! Thanks for letting us know @cesarabeid and @hduran

I’m so sorry to hear that it’s still broken, I know how disappointing this must be.

@joelgascoigne - I’ve added you to the list of affected users. And I’ve let the developers know that we’re still seeing instances of this not working so that they can investigate this further. 

We’ll keep you all posted on any updates here. Thank you for bearing with us in the meantime! 

Userlevel 1

It’s working for me again. Thanks for the help @SamB !

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

YAY! Glad to hear it’s working for you @bwtobias! 😁

As some users are still experiencing issues it appears that it’s not been fully resolved just yet. I don’t have any ETAs I can share on when it’ll be but we’ll be sure to keep you all in the loop on any news on that here.

Thank you all for your patience here! 🙏

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi folks! 👋

The New Saved Message trigger has been fixed in terms of saved messages from public/private channels. But, for saved messages in DMs (Direct Messages) it’s still not always triggering. So there’s a new bug report that has been created for that. We’ll be tracking users that are experiencing issues in triggering from saved DM messages here in this new topic:

I’m going to close out this thread now, so to follow along with any developments please subscribe to that other topic. And if you’re having issues with triggering from saved DMs too, please reach out there and we’ll get you added to the new bug report. Thanks! 🙂