Question

Google Sheets bank transaction Zap fails with "file is too large" error

• 14 September 2023
  • 1 reply

Hello All, 

Novice here. I am looking for what a way to zap bank transactions (either in real time or using a CSV each month) into a Google Sheets spreadsheet file I use for accounting with built in formulas and whatnot. I can’t seem to figure out what I would think should be simple. 

For starters, I do not have any accounting specific software (like Quickbooks/Wave/Xero) and do not want to pay for them if I don’t have to. For my accounting, within my Google Sheet spreadsheet, I usually just manually enter the date, expense category, description of expense, and then amount. There are formulas on other sheet pages that give me totals for categories, months, etc. I’m a small business owner and there are not tons of expenses per month and this usually takes me 20-30 mins each month but if I can simply zap it then even better. 

I tried to go the route whereby I get a CSV from my bank (US Bank) and put it into a Google Drive folder which is the trigger. The next step would be to use the Utilities formatter to upload a CSV. The issue I have is that the CSV is over the allotted 150k (2,398 bytes with only 23 rows and 5 columns) and therefore get the error message that my file is too large.

I can convert the CSV into an excel spreadsheet but I am not seeing a way to extract the data to then update the master Google Sheet accounting file. 

Thanks.

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi there, @Joski. Welcome to the Community! 👋

Perhaps you could try using an app like Split CSV to split the large CSV into smaller files? You’d have one Zap that splits the files, then another Zap that uses the Split CSV Split Completed trigger to run when each of the smaller files created. In that second Zap, you’d have a  Formatter (Utilities > Import CSV) action to import the data and then use a Create Multiple Spreadsheet Rows (Google Sheets) action to add the information into the Google Sheets spreadsheet.

Do you think that would be a viable option? If you give that a try and run into any issues please let us know - happy to help further! 🙂