Best answer

Google Sheet to Google Calendar : problem of event repeating itself many times

I created a Google Sheet with 3 columns : « start date », « end date » and « task ».

I created a Zap, so whenever I add or modify a « start date », it sends an event in a Google Calendar.

Problem is : one event, once is in the calendar, is sent numerous other times to the same date by the Zap. I end up having the same task like 12 times. Quite bothering!

I think the Zap sends all events of the Sheet whenever I make a change. I want the Zap to send only the new or modified task, not all of them!

Anyone can help?

Thanks!

Vincent 

icon

Best answer by Danvers 4 August 2022, 17:21

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @Simonnnn!
No problem, let’s break this down for you!

The first job is to double check your Google Sheet. The following changes to a sheet while a Zap is switched on can cause a disconnect with your Zap:

• Deleting existing rows or columns.
  • Adding rows anywhere other than to the bottom of your sheet.
  • Resorting the sheet.
  • Renaming/adding/rearranging new columns

If you need to make any of those types of changes to your Google Sheet, you will need to turn your Zap off while you make the change, and then turn it back on again after.
Another thing that can cause trouble on your sheet is any blank rows. You will need to make sure your sheet has no blank rows in the middle, only after your last row of content.

If your Google Sheet looks good, let’s sort out those extra calendar events! Now I’m going to have to make some assumptions when I make these suggestions, so if I get that wrong let me know and we’ll try again!
So I’m assuming that a) You want all new Google Calendar events in the sheet b) when you make a change to the calendar event, you want to find that event and make the change. An important thing to note here: this Zap will trigger whenever *any* field is updated, but it’s not going to add the event to the sheet more than once. 

First - add a column to your Google Sheet and name it ‘Calendar ID’. Then we’re going to change the steps in the Zap a little, here’s what you want:

1. Google Calendar New or Updated Event
  2. Google Sheets Lookup Spreadsheet Row
  3. Google Sheets Update Spreadsheet Row

Let’s breakdown the second two Zap steps…

The Lookup Spreadsheet Row step has an optinon where you can tell the Zap to create a new row if one isn’t found. So, if the calendar event is already in the sheet, it will update the row rather than creating a new one. To do that for the Lookup Column, use the Calendar ID and tick the box that says ‘Create Google Sheets Spreadsheet Row if it doesn’t exist yet?’. When you tick that, boxes that correspond to your Google Sheets columns will appear. You should map all of the Google Calendar fields in there. 

For the Update Spreadsheet Row step, set the ‘Row’ field to Custom and use the dropdown menu to choose the Row ID from the previous step. Add any information that you need into the Google Sheet Columns. 

If you only want to update one field, only put a value in that field. If you leave a field in the action blank, the Zap will simply leave that column alone. 

I hope that’s clearer, let me know if you have a question!

Hi, I’m having the same issue. Getting some events repeating 10+ times.

I’m quite new to Zapier so don’t quite follow Troy’s advice - possible to get an idiot’s version? Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey @vincentINIS! Were you able to start implementing Troy’s suggestion for using Paths to accomplish this? Let us know where you’re at in setting this up. We’ve got your back and want to work with you to get things up and running here! 🙂

I just stopped using Zapier. If you need a diploma in coding to use that thing, then it it not user-friendly.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@vincentINIS I’m sorry that you didn’t have a good experience using Zapier. If you decide to come back to Zapier both the Community and our Support Team are happy to help with any questions you have. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @vincentINIS 

Good question.

You’ll need logic to find/create + update to avoid duplicates.

Try this…

Add another Zap step that updates the GSheet in a new column with the GCal Event ID.

Then in the Zap step logic you can use Paths to determine whether the Event should be created (GCal Event ID does NOT exists in GSheet column) or updated (GCal Event ID exists in GSheet column).

Thank you so much!