Best answer

Connecting to Excel is giving "You do not have permissions to open this file in the browser"

• 16 February 2024
  • 18 replies

Userlevel 2

From 15/2/24 17:40 I have started receiving regular alerts for my zaps connecting to online Excel with the message: “You do not have permissions to open this file in the browser”.

Nothing has changed (passwords etc).  I tried turning the zaps off and on again, but now it will not turn on again - I get the notification “Zap could not be switched on” with the same message as above.  When I edit the zap to check the credentials, I can do a test connection and it is successful.

The zaps retrieve new rows from Excel and update MailChimp.  The Microsoft account I am using is the one I used to create the spreadsheet.

I’m not sure where to go from here - it has been working for a few months and nothing has changed.

icon

Best answer by ken.a 21 March 2024, 10:28

View original

18 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @Gareth Bishop,

Welcome to the Community! 🎉

Before we dig deeper into this, could you please try reconnecting your Microsoft Excel account here: https://zapier.com/app/connections/excel

After that, please publish the Zap again and check if the error will persist.

Kindly give it a try and let me know how it goes? I'll keep an eye out for your response!

Userlevel 2

Hi @ken.a ,

I have tried reconnecting the Excel account as suggested - it worked fine but when I went to turn the zap on again, it failed with the same error.

I tried going into Excel and specifically sharing the spreadsheet with the user - although the account I am using is the spreadsheet owner, so I can’t see how there would be any permissions issues accessing it.  It still failed with the same error when I tried to turn it on again.

Zapier is listed as an app that I have given access to in Excel, with full read/write/edit/detele permissions and nothing has changed there.

Thanks,

Gareth

Userlevel 2

I have just tried creating another zap from scratch.  It connects to the Microsoft account ok and I can select the spreadsheet to use.  However the next dropdown is to select which worksheet to use and it can’t find any results:

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @Gareth Bishop,

Could you please try using the Worksheet ID in the “Worksheet” field as a custom value? You should see the Worksheet ID in the browser URL of the Microsoft Excel app when the desired worksheet is selected.

I'll be keeping an eye out for your response!

Userlevel 2

Unfortunately there is no Worksheet ID in the URL - I selected both worksheets separately in the spreadsheet and copied/pasted the URL but it is identical for both.

Userlevel 2

Incidentally I did see something when searching for a solution about clearing the browser cache, but this wouldn’t apply as Zapier is not connecting through my browser, but maybe some sort of cache could be cleared on the Zapier side.

I tried removing the Zapier permissions from excel and then reconnecting to the Excel account in Zapier again, which added the permissions back again, but this made no difference.

Userlevel 1

I am having the same issue here 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi friends,

This might be a bug here. I’d recommend reaching out to our Support Team to report this issue and create a bug report on your behalf.

You can reach our Support Team here: https://zapier.com/app/get-help

I appreciate your patience and understanding.

Userlevel 1

Hello everyone,

I'm utilizing a Google Apps Script to retrieve data from an Excel file situated in my OneDrive account, and I'm encountering a similar issue.

Exception: Request failed for https://graph.microsoft.com returned code 401. Truncated server response: {"error":{"code":"FileOpenUserUnauthorized","message":"You do not have permissions to open this file in the browser.","innerError":{"code":"unautho... (use muteHttpExceptions option to examine full response)

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi,

I’ve been having the same problem (“You do not have permissions to open this file in the browser”) on every Zap step that uses Excel - all have worked fine and nothing has changed in any settings and it’s the same for any new Excel account and / or file that I try.

Zapier support haven’t been able to resolve it yet.

Anyone get theirs working in the end?

Thanks,

Jon

Userlevel 1

Having the same problems, since Saturday, 16th of March. Didn't changed anything in my configurations… :( 

Userlevel 1

Same here.  Nothing has changed on my end and suddenly all my zaps started failing.  SO FRUSTRATING!!  

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi friends,

There’s an open bug report regarding the error of "You do not have permissions to open this file in the browser." I have added your contact information to the open bug report. We will keep you updated via email once there’s an update regarding the bug.

I’m having the same issue - with my very firs zap ever! Glad to learn I’m not just technocursed, and there’s a bug here. Looking forward to it being fixed and getting on with my workflow.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @Suchness,

I have added you to the open bug report as another affected member. We will keep you in the loop via email once the bug has been fixed.

can i also get added to the email updates as i have the exact same issue, also any time frame on the fix would be great as the data entry to the excel sheet sets of a number of other sequences and its a big time grab having to do it all manually. Cheers. 

i have the same problem, i a new user.

Don’t recogniza Worksheet in Excel file, and have error "You do not have permissions to open this file in the browser."

Thanks for your help

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @Matthew Stephens and @tocho,

I have added you both to the open bug report. I’m sorry, but we don’t have an exact ETA for the bug’s fix. However, we will keep you updated via email once the bug has been fixed.