Question

Zapier-Airtable search formula for "starts with"?

• 2 July 2020
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 2

I need to find all Airtable records whose field “Record ID” starts with “rec”.

How can I do that using the Search Value and Search Formula fields?

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @robertandrews!

I just wanted to check in with you to see if you’d managed to get things working with the Airtable search formula, or whether you could still use some help here. Please let us know :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @robertandrews!

The first thing to point out is that the Find Record search action for Airtable will only return one record, it wont return all records that match the search. That means that the search step can’t return all records that match the criteria. 

If you only need one record, then for this kind of search you’d want to use the Search Formula field. In there, you can add a search formula that’s formatted in the way that Airtable uses search formulas to find the record that you’re looking for. 

Airtable has a guide to getting started with formula here: Help crafting an Airtable search formula 

If I’m creating a search formula for a Zap, I start by testing it out in Airtable first, that way you can quickly test and edit the formula to make sure that it’s finding the record that you expect.