Best answer

Which event to choose when updating a found event?

• 18 January 2023
  • 9 replies

Badge

My zap does this:

1. Triggered by Wix Automations
  2. Searching for an event and creating it if not found.
  3. Updating the event

I attached a screenshot of the zap steps.

My questions is about the action part of the 3rd step (“Update event”).

In the “Event” field I need to choose an event to update, but I have several events with the same name (the names are in Hebrew, so probably unreadable to you, but they are the same), probably due to a few zaps I created and experimented with. Which one do I need to choose? How can I tell the zap to update the event that was found (or created) on step 2?

Thanks.

icon

Best answer by Todd Harper 18 January 2023, 22:14

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

9 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @Sagi_Guy!

Instead of selecting an event from the “Event” tab, as seen below,

click on “Custom” and select the ID property of the event from your Step 2 instead, like so:

Badge

Thank you! Now I got the concept :)

A follow up question of that’s ok.

In the found event I want to add a line to the description (append). For that I’m using the description value from step 2 and then adding the new needed info from the Wix Automation fields. My logic says it should work, but when I try this, the zap always “deletes” the old description and and replaces it with what I wanted to add.

Example:

If the description had 1 line with “John Smith”, after the zap is running instead of getting:

“John Smith”

“New Name”

I am getting only “New Name” in the description. I cannot understand why.

I hope that’s clear.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Sagi_Guy 

Check your Zap Runs history details to see the DATA IN/OUT for each Zap step.

There’s a chance on of the mapped variables has “no data”.

Badge

When checking the history, the IN shows the zap sent the calendar “{{179609165__description}}” as a description? This is not the actual content the description had. Is it some kind of placeholder?

In the OUT we can see the calendar sent back the event only with the new line (the one in Hebrew).

Screenshots attached.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Sagi_Guy 

Check the Step 2 DATA OUT for the description field.

The {{variable}} means the variable has “no data”.

Badge

I have no description field in the history of DATA OUT of step 2.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Sagi_Guy 

That explains why there is no description passed from Step 2 to Step 3, hence why the {{variable}} is seen in the Zap Run for Step 3.

Example: Description field has no data.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey @Sagi_Guy! Since Todd answered your original question, I’ve marked his reply as a best answer here. I see you’re still working through some follow-up questions with Troy. Are you good to go now or are you still running into trouble around what’s causing a blank description to come across? Let us know - we want to make sure you’re good to go here!

Badge

Hi @jesse,

To be honest, I’ve been messing around with this simple zap for 72 hours and keep running into a lot of issues that I kind of gave up on it 😕

I will try to contact an expert to help me set it up, as I cannot seem to get it working the right way (although what I’m trying to do is very very simple).