Question

Use a form to bulk import users (e.g., Jotform, Google Sheet)

• 11 December 2022
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi all,

I want to give some of our clients a simple way to add (up to 20) users in our LMS (talentLMS) themselves.

So my thinking was to create a form where they could add first name, last name and email of the users they would like to add. My first try was to create a Google form but it’s not a great user experience to have to fill out 3*20 fields in a Google Form. So I tried Jotform and liked the “table input” form element. However, the output data when inserted into a Google Sheet via Zapier comes as a long string. I’m currently struggling to parse that data into separate rows using Zapier formatter and a formula in Google Sheet but struggling a bit with both.

So if anyone has any tips of achieving what I’m after I’m all ears!

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Richard-SK 

Good question.

Please post screenshots with how the data is formatted that you are trying to use.

You can try using the Formatter > Utilities > line items related actions

Userlevel 1

Here is a string with two test users (Kiara Likey and Joina Oiku):

["Kiara","Likey","tesdjb@sdj.com"]|["Joina","Oiku","iouna@sfds.com"]|["","",""]|["","",""]|["","",""]|["","",""]|["","",""]|["","",""]|["","",""]|["","",""]

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Richard-SK 

Can you please post screenshots with how the data is returned from the Zap trigger step to make sure we context is clear, thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Heya, @Richard-SK! I wanted to swing by and see how you were getting along with this. 🙂
I also wanted to share this blog article on ways to use Formatter.

Specifically the section on “Creating multiple line items” might be helpful!
Keep us posted! 🤗

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey @Richard-SK!

I figured something out that works quite well, but it takes a bit of setup to get it working just right. Here’s a brief video (no audio) showing all the pieces. I add the people to a Google Sheet for simplicity’s sake, but it would similarly with talentLMS.

The code I use, I got from this awesome post: 

Userlevel 1

Hi all,

Thanks for checking in, I have put this a bit on hold for now and gone for a form where the customer will make one submission per person as it makes the process smoother when troubleshooting and lessens the risk of one error runining the entire submission. But I will definitetly check out the post you referred to Christina & Nick!
Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Ok, sounds good @Richard-SK!

If you use a form solution that provides a “submit another” link after the person submits the form, that’s not a bad user experience :)