Question

Salesforce create/update Contact, then add new Opportunity

• 9 June 2023
  • 5 replies

I’m curious how I would be able to reliably tackle sequential actions:

1. Stripe payment comes in, create or update a Salesforce Contact. This part is done.
  2. Add new Opportunity from the Stripe payment data, tied to the Contact.

I can’t figure out how to trigger step #2, after step #1 completes.

I’m worried that using two separate Zaps might introduce a race condition.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @MikeTT,

Welcome to the Community! 🎉

It looks like creating two separate Zaps for this is not needed. You will just need to add an another step to your current Zap, which is the “Create Opportunity” action in Salesforce.

This way, the entire process is handled within a single Zap, ensuring that each step is completed in order before moving on to the next.

Hopefully, this helps! 😊

I thought of that, but as you can see, my flow (which may not be optimal) will stop flow after “Create if not exists”, and so it will never reach the “Create Opportunity” action:

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thanks for sharing that, @MikeTT!

Are you to double check the setup for the Find Record in Salesforce - Create if not exists step? Mostly curious about this box:

The default is usually “No” but I wonder if we mark that as “Yes” if that will ensure the zap always moves onto the next step.

Let us know if that works out for you! 🙂

I set the step to “No”, and it skips over existing contacts. That’s a problem, as I would like to update existing contacts when a record is found.

Is it possible to delay a zap’s execution? Maybe I can create the New Opportunity as a delayed zap, which may theoretically manage timing issues? Would this work:

Contact first, then after a few minutes,  New Opportunity.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Ah, I see! What happens when you set it to Yes though? Does it still skip over updating existing contacts?

As far as delaying the “New Opportunity” action, you could use Delay by Zapier. More on this feature here.

I hope some of this helps!