Question

How do I ensure the Zap properly handles changes made to a Notion database after initial file creation?

• 18 April 2024
  • 5 replies

Hello everyone,

I would like to set up a scenario during which any new person entering a Notion database will receive : 

• The next day: 1 email + 1 SMS
  • The day after, only if their status in my Notion database hasn't changed in the meantime: 1 email reminder + 1 SMS reminder

However, I'm encountering 2 problems that seem to me to be linked to the temporality of events:

• Issue 1: sometimes, a person's phone number is entered manually in Notion a few hours after the creation of their file. In this case, he never receives the SMS, as if Zapier didn't take into account the information entered after the file was created in Notion. However, I set up step 3, "Find database item in Notion", so that Zapier could fetch the phone number information.
  • Issue 2: when I change a person's status in Notion to exclude them from the scenario, Zapier automation continues to work. It's as if, once again, Zapier doesn't take into account the information entered after the file was created in Notion. However, I've set up steps 7 and 8, so that Zapier can fetch the updated status information, and the automation stops if the status has changed.

Do you know how I can correct this?

Many thanks for your help.

Maxime

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Max-MPS 

For example, if you want current data sent to Step 4 & 5, then that data would need to be mapped from Step 3.

Hi @Troy Tessalone 

Thanks for your reply 🙏

This is indeed what I am trying to do using the "Find Database Item in Notion" feature:

• I'm looking for the item created in step 1
  • I use the data from step 3 to send the e-mail in step 4 and the SMS in step 5.

But as it doesn't work, I must have the wrong approach.

How can I map the data from Step 3?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Max-MPS 

How can I map the data from Step 3?

The same way you mapped data from previous Zap steps, using the ‘Custom’ tab.

If you need more help, we will need to see screenshots with how your Zap steps are outlined and configured in EDIT mode.

Thanks @Troy Tessalone.

Indeed, I need more help 😄

Here are some details on what I tried to do.

1. To send 1 SMS to a person whose phone number is not entered when the record is created in Notion.

- Step 3: I use "Find Databse Item in Notion" to find the file created in step 1, using the "E-mail" data. The aim is for Zapier to find the phone number, even if it wasn't entered in step 1.

- Step 5: I send the SMS to the phone number found in step 3. Unfortunately, this doesn't work.

2. To stop the scenario when a person's status is changed in Notion.

- Step 7: before my first reminder, I again use "Find Databse Item in Notion" to find the record created in step 1, using the "E-mail" data.

- Step 8: I use the "Filter" function and ask Zapier to continue only if the property in Notion is the one I want ("New candidate"). Unfortunately, the scenario continues even when I change the person's status in Notion.

All in all, I think my problem is linked to a misuse of the "Find Database in Notion" feature. My aim is to tell Zapier that there may have been a change in the Notion file concerned, and that it should use the updated information to continue the scenario.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Max-MPS 

Try testing live with the Zap ON.

Then check your Zap Runs history details to see the DATA IN/OUT for each step to trace the data flow to help you troubleshoot.

https://zapier.com/app/history/