Question

Populate a Google Doc template with information from a Salesforce Opportunity

• 13 November 2023
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

My ideal workflow that I am having a hard time figuring out how to do using Zapier:

1. a Salesforce opportunity moves into stage = Contracting
  2. feed specific fields from the Salesforce Opportunity into a Google Doc template
  3. email or slack the newly created google doc to specific people

below is my initial attempt at what I think the steps are but it keeps erroring after Zapier can find the Google Template. 

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @cfalcone01 

Good question.

To help us have more context, please post screenshots with how your Zap steps are configured along with the encountered error.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Troy Tessalone here is my current setup:

The SF stage on the Opportunity changes to ‘5 - Contracting’:

Find my google doc template which I was able to successfully do

Create a document from the template found above - this is where i’m not seeing any options to fill in the fields I’ve built as placeholders on my google doc template (using the {{ }} brackets)

I get an error when trying to test even just adding in the “new document name” field 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@cfalcone01 

This needs to be the Template Document ID from Step 2.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Troy Tessalone thank you. I swapped that out and was successfully able to “test” that step. However, I’m still not seeing fields related to the placeholders in my template to feed data into. Those aren’t showing up in the “Create Document from Template in Google Docs” step. Is there another step I’m missing?

Here is a screenshot of step 3 (which is now successful) but still no spots to select what to put into my google doc placeholders. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Troy Tessalone nevermind - figured it out! I had spaces between my words in my placeholders. Thanks for your help as always!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@cfalcone01 

Did you configure the GDoc Template correctly?

https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8495982583053-Common-Problems-with-Google-Docs#my-template-fields-aren-t-appearing-in-zapier-or-they-all-have-generic-names-0-1

https://zapier.com/blog/create-autopopulate-google-docs-template/

If you are using the same Template Doc each time, then you can select it from the dropdown list, and you won’t need Step 2.