Best answer

Need a way to display response from lookup table to user

• 30 November 2020
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1

I may be overthinking this but here is the short version of what I am trying to accomplish:

I want people to be able to open up a form, it prompt them for a number, it then looks that number up from a lookup table (google sheets) and then displays a corresponding response from the table back to the user.

Long version: 
I am building a system to record and track gift card sales for my small business. My thought right now is pretty simple: the employee will open up a google form, and record the sale of the gift card there. The form will track the gift card number, and opening balance. There will be a seperate form to record a sale using the gift card. The form will calculate the balance and keep track that way. 
What I am struggling with is finding a way for the employee to be able to lookup the balance of a card and have it displayed back to them immediately. I know I could have it send an email with the balance or something like that but I am really trying to avoid that.

Also to add we maintain our own wordpress site so if needed we could integrate it there somehow. 

Any thoughts?  

icon

Best answer by Troy Tessalone 1 December 2020, 00:45

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Zapier is meant for app to app (aka server to server, or back end) automation.

You’d have to use JavaScript to achieve what you’re trying to do with front end scripting to display fetched results in real-time.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @tlswack!

As Troy pointed out, we’re not able to facilitate something changing right there in front of the user as they’re interacting with a form.

Out of curiosity, is there a reason the employee wouldn’t be able to check the Google Sheet itself, to see what the balance is?

Userlevel 1

Out of curiosity, is there a reason the employee wouldn’t be able to check the Google Sheet itself, to see what the balance is?

That is my plan as of now, I was just hoping to be able to find a “Cleaner” solution.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @tlswack!

As an alternative to what Troy mentioned above, you could look into our “Insights” prototype.

You may be able to find a way to build what you need using that :)