Question

How to Sync Updates Between Two Notion Databases

• 14 March 2024
  • 1 reply

I am working on automating data synchronisation between two Notion databases and need some guidance on setting up Zaps for updating entries. Here's what I'm trying to achieve:

• Objective: When an item in my primary Notion database is updated, I want those changes to be reflected in a corresponding item in a secondary Notion database. The secondary database acts as a passive mirror, only updating when changes are made in the primary.

• Current Setup: I have a Zap that triggers on "New Database Item" in the first Notion database, which creates a corresponding new item in the second database. This part works fine.

• Challenge: I'm stuck on how to handle updates. Since there isn't a direct "Update Database Item" action in Zapier for Notion, I understand that I might need to use webhooks or make a custom request to the Notion API. Here's what I need help with:

• How do I set up a Zap to trigger on an "Updated Database Item" in my first Notion database?
    • What’s the best way to match the updated item in the first database with its counterpart in the second database? I assume I need a unique identifier; any best practices on setting this up?
    • Could you provide guidance or an example on setting up a webhook or custom request in Zapier to perform the update in the second Notion database?

I am looking for a step-by-step guide or any tips from someone who has managed to set up a similar automation. Any help or points in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @alankicks, welcome to the Community! 

I'm stuck on how to handle updates. Since there isn't a direct "Update Database Item" action in Zapier for Notion, I understand that I might need to use webhooks or make a custom request to the Notion API

I just double-checked the available actions for Notion and there is an Update Database Item action available.

So you should be able to handle the desired workflow with the following trigger and actions, without needing to set up a custom request:

c2ba010c3738fbb1950c791214d219e6.png

How do I set up a Zap to trigger on an "Updated Database Item" in my first Notion database?

You’d choose the Notion app and select the Updated Database Item option for the trigger event. See Select your app and event. Then connect to your Notion account and on the next section, select the first Notion database in the Database field, for example:
370f85c5730a5718ba8ab19448d58312.png

What’s the best way to match the updated item in the first database with its counterpart in the second database? I assume I need a unique identifier; any best practices on setting this up?

It’s possible to search for an item using any of the desired item property fields so if there’s a unique identifier in the name or another item field then you’d want to select the relevant field from the trigger (first database) that contains the unique identifier value that’s also present in the second database:
bd85dfadc080a3df968b9ec9bba031d2.png

In order for the Find Database Item search action to locate the correct item the unique Identifier would need to be present in the corresponding items across both databases. 

Could you provide guidance or an example on setting up a webhook or custom request in Zapier to perform the update in the second Notion database?

I’m not sure you’re going to need a webhook or custom request set up as there’s an Update Database Item action available. Or is it that there’s some missing fields with the current Update Database Item action that you’re wanting to use a custom request/webhook action for? 

With the Update Database Item action, in order to update the item that was found by the previous search action, in the Item field you’d need to use the custom option to select the ID field from that search action. For example: 
095bedd95d7ce03ec341d2afb0d0f794.png

You can learn more about using the custom value option here: Add custom values to dropdown menu fields in Zaps

Hope that helps to get you pointed in the right direction. If I’ve misunderstood or you run into any trouble on the above do let us know!