Question

How to split tags from Typeform into Airtable multiple select field

• 31 August 2023
  • 14 replies

Hi!

I’m trying to put Typeform submissions into Airtable, where I want some multiple choice questions (for expample: choose 3 out of 10 options) in the Typeform to convert into tags in their respective Multiple Select column in Airtable. But anytime I submit a Typeform, those fields are filled with a single tag which contains the comma-separated string I get from Typeform. 

I tried splitting those strings with Formatter, and sending split tags in their respective Airtable fields, but then, it would only send the first one to Airtable and ignore the rest. I also tried every combination of commas and semicolons. Formatter > Utilities > Text to Line Items step also didn’t work.

How can I change that? 

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @imhavingissues 

Good question.

To help us have more context, please post screenshots of your field being used in Airtable, and examples of the DATA OUT from the Typeform trigger step.

Hi!

Attached you’ll find screenshots of data from Typeform, tags used in the Airtable, and the tag getting created in the current setup.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@imhavingissues 

Can you post screenshots with how your Zap steps are configured?

Attached are screenshot of my setup and the result using the Formatter. Between my Typeform trigger and Airtable record creation I have placed multiple Fromatters for all the fields that are ‘tag’ questions.

Edit: Also added a screenshot of the Airtable test result for that field.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@imhavingissues 

The attachments didn’t upload.

There you go

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@imhavingissues 

I want to add multiple different values to my "Multiple Select" Airtable field but they're all merged

If you're trying to add multiple options to fields like this:

Separate the values with commas when mapping them in the Zap editor, either like this:

Or by placing commas between fields you insert from a previous Trigger or Action, like this:

I tried that and it still produces the same exact result. And I don’t think that’s where the issue is, as the data from Typeform already comes with commas, so it should work automatically.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@imhavingissues 

You can try testing by copy/paste the field value from the Typefrom DATA OUT in the Zap trigger, and manually setting a static value in the Airtable field of the Zap action step, then test again to see the results.

Wondering if the issue is related to the encoding of the data, causing the commas to not be respected by Airtable.

I tried that. Setting the static value works as intended, tags are nice and separated, so you’re right - it’s most probably something with encoding of the data. I’m just lost as to what it might be...

There is something that I noticed just now. After converting Multiple select field to long text, the merged tag converted to a string with quotation marks, see attached screenshot. Maybe that’s why Airtable is ignoring the commas? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@imhavingissues 

If there are double quotes around a text string, then Airtable treats those as 1 selection option in single/multi select fields.

Try adding a Formatter > Text > Replace action step to remove the double quotes.

Select the field that includes all of the results.  Format the data.  Type Find and Replace and do the following:

Find
,[:space:][:newline:]
Replace

This has to be such a pain for everyone.  This is a very common need for people who do integrations between Typeform and Airtable.  Not sure why a new line is being added to this.

jeez what a disappointment from Typeform. Anyway for the folks using Zapier to store a multiple choice (without “Other”) from Typeform into an Airtable multiple select field you can use this Python code block in your zap:

def format_input(input_string):
items = [item.strip() for item in input_string.split(',')]
formatted_str = ",".join(items)
return {"output": f"{formatted_str}"}

input_str = input_data["4a"]
output_dict = format_input(input_str)
return output_dict

https://www.typeform.com/help/a/airtable-integration-question-mappings-and-fa-qs-14873828884244/