Question

How to make the curly brackets in Google Slides disappear when value is blank?

• 2 October 2021
  • 6 replies

Badge +1

I want to make a google presenation based on a google spreadsheet.

The google spreadsheet is filled with Arrayformula’s.

I would like that a formula f.e. ={"Ln_4";arrayformula(if(not(Isempty($B$2:$B));B2:B;" "))} returns:

1. in case B2 is not empty the value B2
  2. in case B2 is empty a space

I thought that in the second case (since there is a value, namely “a space”), this would translate in an empty field in the google presenation. Not the {{Verkoper_concl}}.

This is not the case however.

The value {{Verkoper_concl}} remains in the presentation. This gives a “sloppy” appearance.

Does anyone know how to solve this?

That would be much appreciated.

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @CarlosVB ,

It’s a bit unclear to my what exactly you are referring to. I dont see “ {{Verkoper_concl}} “ anywhere right now.
You are saying you want to make a presentation out of a google sheet? What do your zaps looks like?

First thing I would do however, is making the formula easier to use.

• Why use a not() statement? You could also turn around the if() statement.
  • And I believe sheets doesn’t have the isempty() but uses isblank()

Would be something like:

={"Ln_4";arrayformula(if(ISBLANK($B$2:$B)," ", B2:B))}

Maybe you can share the sheet, or an example sheet with more information? And screenshots always help ;)
Like what are you expecting it would do?

Badge +1

Sorry for the confusion the  “ {{Verkoper_concl}} “ was only an example. It is the same {{Ln_4}} or all other curly brackets. 

The actual formula’s work great, I agree that yours would work as well. However they would return the same result.

If B2 does not exist (has no value), than it will place a space in that cell.

My question is however why does the zapier action still does not create a space in presentation whe {{Ln_4}} is mentioned?

How can I solve this.

I want the {{Ln_4}} or {{Ln_5}} or … to disappear.

Thanks for the help

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Sorry but I still need some more context about what you are trying to achieve here. Screenshots of your Zaps and sheets are higlhy appreciated.

What is the output now (with screenshots) and how would you like to see it (with screenshots by manually editing).

Thanks!

Badge +1

Thanks for the help: This is part of the excel.

Badge +1

Result in the zap configuration of google slides 

Result in pdf of the google slides

The desired result would have been that these fields are empty not filled with {{xxxxxx}}

Badge +1

I have found “sort of a solution”, although not that pretty. Instead of entering the “space” as a value in the google sheet formula, I have entered a “*”. This gives a little cleaner look.

Definitely not the best way to do it. But still it looks a little more professional:

I have tried various other methods including the formats from zapier.

My thought was first create the google slides presentation with the above asterix * and then do a step where the formatter changes out those * to an empty value.

I did not succeed because I do not know which one of the “insert data” links to the created presentation i had to choose.

Any thoughts would come in handy. I am sure these is a rookie mistake but it would help me a lot.

Thanks in advance.