Question

How to generate QuickBooks Online invoice number with specific format

• 7 February 2023
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1

I am using Zapier to create a QuickBooks Online invoice when a Salesforce opportunity is created. I have a zap that uses the action Create Invoice in QuickBooks Online. I want the invoice number to be auto-generated with a specific format. I have a custom field in Salesforce that provides the first part of the invoice number (“FY22-”) then I want the QBO Invoice number to auto generate numbers appended to that. So it would be FY22-1, FY22-2, FY22-3, FY22-4, etc. Is this possible with Zapier? I tried putting AUTO_GENERATE after the custom field reference in the Invoice Number field, but that just resulted in “FY22-AUTO_GENERATE”.

Field in the Create Invoice in QuickBooks Online action
Result in QuickBooks Online

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @TheCRMFirm, at first glance believe the issue lays in using a dynamic and static entries for this field but I’d like to phone a friend just to make sure I’m reading this correctly. @jesse, am I on the right track with this one? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @TheCRMFirm 

Good question.

You’d likely have to configure the Invoice prepend value in QBO.

You can either set a specific Invoice # OR use AUTO_GENERATE, but not both.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Looks like @Troy Tessalone and I pressed send at the same time. @TheCRMFirm try making that adjustment and let us know what the outcome is!

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @TheCRMFirm 

You need to add a step before that which is Storage by Zapier and choose the Event “Increment Value” . The Key can be anything, the increment value would be 1. You then pass this value instead of “auto generate”