Question

How do I send Slack notifications for linked Linear tickets with three or more Zendesk tickets?

• 3 October 2023
  • 11 replies

New here, so sorry for any ignorance.

I’m trying to create a zap that looks at linear tickets within a specific project and notifies me if any Linear tickets have 3 or more Zendesk tickets linked to them.

I’m unsure if Zapier has data for history so maybe this is possible if not only we can see the Links section in Linear tickets via Zapier (haven’t seen a way yet) but we can then also add a notification if a third, or more Zendesk tickets is added.

In our current workflow we have a ‘Links’ section within Linear tickets and we add any Zendesk ticket related to that single Linear ticket. I want to know when it goes over a specific threshold such as if there are three or more links within a Linear ticket then notify my via slack.

Thanks,
Nate

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Nate8282 

Good question.

Can you provide screenshots for an example to help us better understand?

I can’t show much because of internal info. But we have a field in each Linear ticket called Links, it shows links to github merges and PRs for a related branch for that ticket as well as any related Zendesk ticket. Is shows in the ticket right before the activity section which has the comments.

It looks like this happens within linear as an integration with Zendesk.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Nate8282 

What would be the Zap trigger event?

You may have to use the Linear API: https://developers.linear.app/docs/

App APIs can be used in Zaps via these apps:

Assuming I could track the Zendesk tickets. I could trigger it based if an issue is updated. Then use a filter to see if 3 or more are attached.

It’s too bad I can’t just use a text search for ‘Ticket #’ because they are always in that format, but i am unable to text search within that specific field. Unless there is a way to search through the full ticket?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Nate8282 

Try this Filter condition:

[Ticket #] “(Number) Greater Than” 2

Do you mean like this? @Troy Tessalone 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Nate8282 

A Filter condition has 3 arguments.

Help: https://zapier.com/apps/filter/help

• Top: This is always a dynamically mapped variable from a previous step.
    • If there is a value returned from Linear for the # of Links for a Ticket, then choose that.
  • Middle: (Number) Greater Than
  • Bottom: 2
Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Nate8282 

We would need to see screenshots of the DATA OUT from the Linear Zap trigger step to better understand the structure of the “Links” data point.

Ok, so the big issue here is still seeing the Zendesk tickets attached within the Linear ticket and using that as a trigger. My next question is can we track that a Zendesk ticket was added to the Linear ticket using the comments?

When a new Zendesk issue is linked it does show that in what i presume is the comments section, as it’s the same section people leave a comments in. Is there any way to use this as a trigger?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Nate8282 

Available Linear Zap triggers/actions: https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8496292155405-Share-a-template-of-your-Zap