Question

How do I save my users response in a chatbot to later use them in a email?

• 19 April 2024
  • 6 replies

I’m creating a virtual quoter for freights, I’m using zapier chatbot with GPT3.5, and will input this chatbot into an interface later on.

How it works, is that the Chatbot ask a series of questions, like:

1. Origin and destination of the shipment: Where will the shipment be from and to?

2. Type of merchandise: What type of products do you wish to send?

3. Weight and dimensions: How much does it weigh and what are the dimensions of the cargo?

4. Shipping date: When do you plan to send the cargo?

Then the user response with:

1. From Shanghái, China to Long Beach, California
  2. Full container of copper cables
  3. Standard 20 feet container and weight 20 tons
  4. 30 of may of 2024

I want to then use that fields in a email template, it would look something like this:

Hi (Freight Forward Company)!

User #1 wants to quote a freight the specifics are as follow:

1. (Response from answer #1)
  2. (Response from Answer #2)
  3. (Response from Answer #3)
  4. (Response from Answer #4)

Anyone can help me with this?

Thanks a lot!

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hello there @dariobirdieAI, welcome to the Community! 🎉

To do that you’d want to add an action to the chatbot. Setting up a actions would allow the chatbot to collect and send the information to a Zap which can then send an email to you with the desired information. We have some guides that help to explain how to add actions to your chatbot here:

Can you give that a try and let us know how you get on? Happy to assist further if you get stuck at all. 🙂

Userlevel 1

If you only need to store values in one scenario execution, you can use the “Set Multiple Variables” module in the Tools to store values that you can retrieve later using the “Get Multiple Variables” module.

If you want to store values across different executions, the best way to do that it to use the Data Store built into zapier and store your variables in there. Unfortunately I’m not sure what solution works better for you considering I don’t know how you have everything set up

First of all thanks a lot for your responses! I’m getting there!

Just need to follow-up with this questions:
Regarding your response @SamB !

Hello there @dariobirdieAI, welcome to the Community! 🎉

To do that you’d want to add an action to the chatbot. Setting up a actions would allow the chatbot to collect and send the information to a Zap which can then send an email to you with the desired information. We have some guides that help to explain how to add actions to your chatbot here:

Can you give that a try and let us know how you get on? Happy to assist further if you get stuck at all. 🙂

When going to create the zap after the action, only certain responses arrive to the my zap log, I can’t trigger or differ the answers of the user. For example, take this conversation with my bot.

So first I collect the lead of the user:

Then the user triggers the quote a freight prompt, and he is asked for the variables needed to quote via email:

The user, then is given the instruction to trigger to quoting: “Haz click en el botón” is spanish for click the button, so the user now clicks the zap action button.

Now going to the set up of my zap after the action button is clicked, I can’t find the answer I need to set up the new variables and email:

(As you can see im looking for the response from my user with no success)

I checked both events types: Chatbot Button Click and New Chatbot Feedback.

So I can’t configure a sort of email template as my information is not available, I’ve try so much different ways to do this, but no success..

My final product would look like:

1. Chatbot sends the whole conversation, and then I can filter or see how I can get the specific variables set with the user responses, the variables I need are as follow:

User Response Variables:

(Origen): Manzanillo, Mexico
(Destino): Shaghai, China
(Volumen): 1 Contenedor 40ft HC
(Peso): 20 toneladas Carga: Equipo electronico: (Fecha de salida): 20/06/2024 dario@birdie.mx

( Email : (Static Value from the Freight Company)
CC: (Email variable) 

Hi I need to quote a invoice from (Origen) to (Destino)….

Hopefully I was able to be clear in my explanation and we can work this out, again thanks a lot for the help!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thanks for giving that a try @dariobirdieAI!

How recently was that test submitted to the Chatbot before the Test Trigger button on the Zap was pressed? Asking I did a test in my own account just now and was able to get the details come though by pressing the button in the chatbot conversation then immediately switching back to the Zap and pressing the Test trigger button. So I’m thinking that while testing it might only be able to see very recent clicks of the button when loading in new test records.

In which case you’ll want to try the following:

• Open up the Test section on the Zap’s trigger in your web browser.
  • And in a new tab or browser window open up the Chatbot conversation - this allows you to quickly switch between them.
  • Next, start a new conversation with the Chatbot and enter in all the desired testing information. When ready click the ¡Busca me cotización! button to set the information to the Zap.
  • Then immediately, switch back to the Zap and press either the Test trigger OR Find new records button.

Can you give that a try and let me know whether that gets a new record with the desired information loaded in as hoped? 

Ok, I gave it a try and still no success :( 

First of all you can see here in my history of conversations, I have the quote.

Here I’m clicking the Zap button:

As you see I’ll look for the key letter “Equipo electronico” and there’s no answers I can find.

I’m keep wondering, how could I make a reliable system, if the chat is not going to be able to save the new variables reliably each time.

I think I will cancel my chatbot subscriptions, and just use forms.

Really disappointed at the moment

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Sorry to hear that @dariobirdieAI. Looking at the screenshots I’m not seeing a new chat conversation having been added, the last one appears to have been created on Sunday April 21st, 2024:

3d7db6f140c65d0e5d977afb4404d960.png

I spotted that the trigger has since been changed to the “New Chatbot Feedback” event - which wouldn’t trigger when the button is clicked.

So you’d need to change it back to the Chatbot Button Click event trigger:

97662ec22d8504eb2b2399c0ec205310.png

Then open up your Chatbot in another web browser tab/window and start a brand new conversation.

Next, switch back to the Zap and press the Find new records button:
a254f9718b40e9ce1ebd4bf3250fad50.png

Can you give that a try and confirm whether that gets the details from the new conversation pulled in correctly?