Question

How do I create Google Sheets from Gmail CSV attachments and extract data for new customers?

• 11 October 2023
  • 3 replies

I need help with the best way to accomplish the following process:

• Client emails our gmail account with a specific subject line that matches a label for routing and organization in gmail
  • Email from client will have a csv file attached
  • Need to create a google sheet for each client and have every time they send me a new email w/ attachment this process would either A) update/create contacts matched by email in same sheet, or B) create a new sheet inside same google doc for client
  • Once all data is added in google sheet, we will want to extract certain fields based on a ‘Last Buy Date’ as to only pull out recent new customers added to the list
  • That data (first name, last name, email, phone, etc) can be then used to send to all our other platforms as needed

Any help with this flow is greatly appreciated as even with the AI help it doesn’t get me comfortably where I believe it works as intended. Shouldn’t be too hard, for someone who knows Zapier’s capabilities. 

Thank you,

Joey

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @WySMart 

Good question.

How many records are in the CSV? (MAX)

There are limits for certain Zap actions.

Some Zap steps to put you on the right track…

Action: Formatter > Utilities > Import CSV

Action: GSheets - Create Row(s)

FEEDBACK

You may want to consider using Airtable instead of GSheets.

Has better querying capabilities.

It would be a lot more than the 150kb or whatever the zapier parsing zap allows - which is why I was trying to drop it into google sheets as a doc first, then reference the new doc in next step to get data out and usable to other platforms..thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @WySMart,

I’m jumping in to see if I can help!

You can probably use an app like Split CSV to split the CSV file into smaller files. Then those files would trigger another Zap when processed, and then you’d be imported using Formatter and added to Google Sheets.

You can read more about that in this similar post here: 

Hopefully, this helps! 😊