Best answer

How do I create an calendar event from a .ics attachment?

• 8 August 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi, I’m new to Zapier. 

I signed up as I thought it might be able to help me automate adding events to google calendar that arrive in my gmail inbox as confirmation emails with .ics (calendar) attachments.

So far, I've managed to set up a zap that identifies the correct emails (with .ics attachments), and then creates an event. However, I cant get zapier to meaningfully use any of the data in the email or .ics file to determine the event details.

...Surely this must be possible? There's a clickable ‘add’ button in gmail next to each email that contains a calendar invite - i just want to automate this step.

Cheers for any help!

icon

Best answer by Danvers 12 August 2022, 17:12

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey there, @cehblake! Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Community! We definitely want to help.

Can you clarify which action in Google Calendar you’re using - the “Create Detailed Event” action or the ? Also, do you mind sharing a screenshot of your action setup and which fields from the invite you were hoping to see? That’ll help us troubleshoot with ya. 🙂

Here’s a useful FAQ article for Google Calendar’s. I wonder if this question specifically may be helpful:

Thanks so much and looking forward to digging into this with you! 

Userlevel 1

Hi Christina, thanks for getting back to me

I've tried using both the “Create Detailed Event”, and the “Quick Add Event” options. I get to the same place with both; where i get a list of fields zapier can pull from the attachment and email. I've attached a screenshot of this.. it doesnt seem to be able to read the contents of the attachment, only the title, and core email content as text strings.

Cheers

Chris

This post has been edited by a moderator to remove personal information. Please remember that this is a public forum and to remove any sensitive information prior to posting. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @cehblake, and thanks for the extra information :) 

It looks like it’s not currently possible to add an event using an ics file, but we do have a feature request for that. I've added your email address as another vote for this addition. I don't have an ETA of when or if this will happen, but we will definitely email you if it does become a reality. Thanks!